|> Other English exercises on the same topics: Imperative | Politeness | Question Tags [Change theme]|
|> Similar tests: - Vocabulary: greeting people - Question tags - Imperative - Can/could/may... Must/have to... - Vocabulary: avoid saying: I don't know! - Vocabulary: Sorry! (Let's apologise!) - Vocabulary: Thanking everyone - Vocabulary: clarifying a dialogue.|
|> Double-click on words you don't understand|
Imperative mode and its tags.
THE IMPERATIVE MODE is used to give orders, in the affirmative form : Come here! ; Eat your soup!
- or the negative form, interdictions : Don't speak so loud! ; Don't answer back!
In French, the imperative has only 3 forms (1st person plural, 2nd person singular and plural), whereas in English, adding LET, it can be used in the 3rd persons and with different nuances:
- invitation : Let her come to my party! I'll be delighted...
- public notice : Keep off the grass.
- order : Listen when someone is speaking!
- instructions : Open your books on page 6, and do exercise 3!
- suggestion : Don't worry!
- direction,orientation : Go straight on and then turn left.
- warning : Don't play with that big dog...
- request : Please, pass me the salt...
1) The imperative is simply built with the base verb :
- Open the window, please.
English exercise "Imperative mode and its tags." created by here4u with The test builder. [More lessons & exercises from here4u]
Click here to see the current stats of this English test
Please log in to save your progress.
End of the free exercise to learn English: Imperative mode and its tags.
A free English exercise to learn English.
Other English exercises on the same topics : Imperative | Politeness | Question Tags | All our lessons and exercises
(copyright http://www.tolearnenglish.com All rights reserved)-It is forbidden to reproduce, republish, redistribute, resell or translate any materials from this site in either machine-readable form or any other form.