Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

<< Retour au forum

CLIQUEZ ICI POUR REPONDRE A CE SUJET

Message de madinina77 posté le 2004-09-04 10:33:03 (S | E | F | I)
why the Englishman drive at right?

Réponse: re:Why...?i want know how de bridg, postée le 2004-09-04 14:52:58 (S | E)
If you answer about Englishman we can believe that's a game, a riddle.
If it was a question about this english custom you had to tell: the British / the English

So! Riddle or real question?

Réponse: re:Why...?i want know how de kayrol, postée le 2004-09-04 15:04:48 (S | E)
I would add that the English drive on the left side of the road, not right.
So now, as Bridg asked, riddle or real question ?
Kayrol

Réponse: re:Why...?i want know how de pj, postée le 2004-09-04 22:02:37 (S | E)
"Why do you Englishmen drive on the wrong side of the road?". Driving on the left is not as wrong as people may think.

Although there are various conflicting theories, there is some convincing evidence that the Romans drove on the left. Napoleon introduced driving on the right in the countries he conquered (which is why Britain and Sweden continued to drive on the left).

British North America (now Canada) eventually switched to the right, because it made no sense to drive on different sides of the road along the world’s longest land frontier. And the Middle East drives right because the Ottoman empire, which used to rule most of the region, was heavily under the influence of the right-driving French and Germans at the critical time when its army laid down formal traffic rules in the latter half of the 19th century.

But in most of sub-Saharan Africa, except for the former French colonies, people drive on the left because of the British influence. They do the same in almost all the countries from Pakistan and India to Australia and New Zealand; only ex-French Indochina and the Philippines, an ex-U.S. colony, drive on the right.

Even Indonesia (which was briefly occupied by the British two centuries ago) and Thailand (which was never colonized at all) drive on the left. So does Japan, though nobody seems to know whether this is due to 19th-century British influence, or whether it is as deeply rooted in Japan as it was in post-Roman Europe.

Korea now drives right, but only because it passed directly from Japanese colonial rule to American (and Russian) influence at the end of the Second World War. And I just don’t know why China now drives right, or if it ever drove on the left. The Czech republic and Hungary used to drive on the left before WW2, as did Argentina.

But by making the ‘wrong’ side his standard, Napoleon has left us a world permanently divided between countries that drive on the right (about 3.5 billion people) and those that drive on the left (about 2.5 billion). Napoleon was a great admirer of the Roman army. If only he had known which side the Romans drove on, it might all have been different.

Réponse: re:Why...?i want know how de traviskidd, postée le 2004-09-05 05:15:49 (S | E)
The left side is the wrong side.
The right side is the right side!

Réponse: re:Why...?i want know how de serena, postée le 2004-09-05 10:00:48 (S | E)
According to what pj wrote, people started driving for the very first time on the left side, before napoleon introduced the right one.
So, if we refer to the primacy of use, the left side is the right side.

CLIQUEZ ICI POUR REPONDRE A CE SUJET

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux