Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

Millionaire/ stress pattern

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Millionaire/ stress pattern
    Message from asafie posted on 02-10-2017 at 21:03:11 (D | E | F)
    Hi everyone !
    Could anybody please tell me why does millionaire have has a 201 stress-pattern ? ˌmɪljəˈneə
    Thanks in advance

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 02-10-2017 21:56

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 04-10-2017 09:45

Re: Millionaire/ stress pattern from here4u, posted on 03-10-2017 at 18:41:41 (D | E)
    Hello !
    You really seem to be obsessed with word stress-patterns! Good! (learn the stress together with each new word of vocabulary... ) but the rest is important too...
    Most of the "long" words have several stresses. In MI/LLIO/NAIRE/, the stronger one (noted 1) is on the last syllable, but the word has a secondary stress (noted 2) which is on the first syllable. The second syllable (noted 0) is unstressed=> therefore the stress-pattern of "millionaire" is : 2 0 1 .
    If you follow this link : Link

you'll hear it!

Re: Millionaire/ stress pattern from gerondif, posted on 03-10-2017 at 19:59:43 (D | E)
    Hello
    have a look at this, an easy document to find, by typing "stressing words in aire" on google:
    Link

By the way, your question should be in the indirect speech:
    Could anybody please tell me why does millionaire have a 201 stress-pattern ?
    Could anybody please tell me why millionaire has a 201 stress-pattern ?

Re: Millionaire/ stress pattern from zilazila, posted on 04-10-2017 at 08:51:34 (D | E)
    Hello gerondif,
    Do you mean that this sentence is completely wrong?
    "Could anybody please tell me why does millionaire have a 201 stress-pattern ?"

Re: Millionaire/ stress pattern from lucile83, posted on 04-10-2017 at 09:49:19 (D | E)
    Hello
    Yes that sentence was wrong; I didn't notice it 2 days ago It's reported speech, you can't use inversion.
    Thanks to gerondif for his correction!

Re: Millionaire/ stress pattern from mah, posted on 04-10-2017 at 19:55:51 (D | E)
    Hello everybody!
    Yes dear zilazila. We know that we don't use the second part of the sentence in question :
    For example: Do you know where they went? ( not where did they go) or: I couldn't guess when they left. Not Where when did they leave)
    See you!

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 04-10-2017 22:08

Re: Millionaire/ stress pattern from asafie, posted on 05-10-2017 at 22:59:36 (D | E)
    Thank you!
    By the way I’m sorry about the mistakes I made, sometimes I’ve got the impression that I really suck at English

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 06-10-2017 08:28

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only