Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

Singular verb/ plural

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Singular verb/ plural
    Message from mohammad51 posted on 23-10-2018 at 22:03:28 (D | E | F)
    Hello
    Again
    Subject \ verb agreement a question ?
    Which one is more correct are or is ?
    Neither of the computers are working.
    I got this sentence online and said " Not correct"

Let me say my word publicly , " There is not standard English grammar anywhere."
    I searched many pages most of the pages suggest a singular verb, but I read on Cambridge; people in spoken language, would rather like to use plural verb especially after the construction ( neither of ) neither of the children are present. not is, while in written language both is\ are = possible ( only after neither of ) saying always plural nouns come after it.
    The matter with ( neither alone ) is different as said, " it comes before a singular countable noun only."
    Here the information of Cambridge:
    Neither parent came to meet the teacher. (The mother didn’t come and the father didn’t come.)
    Neither dress fitted her. (There were two dresses and not one of them fitted her.)
    We use neither of before pronouns and plural countable nouns which have a determiner (my, his, the) before them:
    Neither of us went to the concert.
    Neither of the birthday cards was suitable.

Spoken English:
    In formal styles, we use neither of with a singular verb when it is the subject. However, in informal speaking, people often use plural verbs:
    Neither of my best friends was around.
    Neither of them were interested in going to university.
    In speaking, we can use neither on its own in replies when we are referring to two things that have already been mentioned:
    A:Mike, which would you prefer, tea or coffee?
    B:Neither thanks. I’ve just had a coffee.
    Link

According to the different answers or the never agreeable men of grammar grammarians, language becomes difficult.
    My view :
    I understand it when using plural verb = all
    when using singular verb = each one of the group ( the subject )
    Please help and give me your solution.
    Thank you in advance.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 23-10-2018 22:52

Re: Singular verb/ plural from mah, posted on 26-10-2018 at 03:57:15 (D | E)
    Hello everybody
    In reply to your question I should remind there is almost no rule in English speaking! xxx
    See you.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 26-10-2018 08:32
    That is your own opinion ! You should say that rules are not always respected in spoken English.

Re: Singular verb/ plural from sherry48, posted on 26-10-2018 at 18:17:49 (D | E)
    Hello. For either and neither, not followed by a noun, it helps to insert the implied 'one'. Neither (one) is coming. I think it makes it more clear. Sherry

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only