Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

Stopped/by police

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Stopped/by police
    Message from jack59240 posted on 27-03-2020 at 09:13:55 (D | E | F)
    Hello,
    Could you help me please?

I tried to correct my text with the help of my friends (language café). The topic was "have you ever been stopped by the police?
    Thank you for your help.

I am going to tell you about one of my bad habits, that almost cost me a 95 € fine.
    For a long time, when I ride my bike, I am used to not obeying the stop sign on my way when I have to turn to the right: I just glance to the left and go on. I have to say that I am used to riding fast.
    Once, last year, I did as usual but it could have turned bad. At the point I was arriving on the bike-path and raised my head to check my way, I saw a police officer walking to me on the bike path. He stopped me and said: «You didn’t obey the stop sign! “You did like the woman who is in my car to fill the fine form. I am just going to pick up the name of the street she came through. She is under a 95 € fine». I noticed that he was wearing a smart uniform, kepi and riding boot and so on. He was an upper officer and probably he was going to a meeting. That was my chance! Because he was in a hurry! He said to me: «you are lucky: I have not enough time to fine you because of the woman I haven’t finished with»
    He glared at me, his jaw tight.
    Then, it was my pleasure:
    -I got off my bike and said: «If you like I can wait for you».
    -«No ! I have no time to ! Go ahead !» he said furiously.
    -I got on my bike and said: «bye-bye ! have a good day !»

------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 27-03-2020 12:04
    'Hello' added...

Re: Stopped/by police from lucile83, posted on 28-03-2020 at 09:41:12 (D | E)
    Anyone?

Re: Stopped/by police from gerondif, posted on 28-03-2020 at 14:17:35 (D | E)
    Hello
    Mistakes in blue
    I am going to tell you about one of my bad habits, that almost cost me a 95 € fine.
    For a long time, when I ride my bike, I am(present perfect) used to not obeying the stop signs on my way when I have to turn (to the) right: I just glance (to the) left and go on. I have to say that I am used to riding fast.
    Once, last year, I did as usual (as I always did) but it could have turned bad. At the point Just as I was arriving on the bike-path and raised (ing) my head (looking up) to check my way, I saw a police officer walking to me on the bike path. He stopped me and said: «You didn’t obey the stop sign! “You did (behaved)like the woman who is in my car to fill the fine form. I am just going (to avoid confusion with a near future, I would say : I'm just having a look to check the name of the street she went across)( came from) to pick up the name of the street she came through. She is under a 95 € fine». I noticed that he was wearing a smart uniform, kepi and riding boots and so on. He was an upper officer and probably he was going to a meeting. That was my chance( chance doesn't mean you are lucky, it means that you met somebody by chance)! Because he was in a hurry! He said to me: «you are lucky: I have not enough time to fine you because of the woman I haven’t finished with»
    He glared at me, his jaw tight.
    Then, it was my pleasure : (doesn't mean much. I would say : Then I took great pleasure in getting slowly off my bike and saying
    -I got off my bike and said: «If you like I can wait for you».
    -«No ! I have no time to ! Go ahead ! (Move on !)» he said furiously.
    -I got on my bike and said: «bye-bye ! Have a good day !»

Re: Stopped/by police from jack59240, posted on 30-03-2020 at 10:24:03 (D | E)
    Thank you for correcting me. I don't understand ...I am used to not obeying .......you wrote I am (present perfect).......

Re: Stopped/by police from gerondif, posted on 30-03-2020 at 10:57:07 (D | E)
    Hello
    I am writing.
    I have been writing for two minutes, since eight to eleven.
    For a long time, I have been used to...

Re: Stopped/by police from jack59240, posted on 30-03-2020 at 13:41:42 (D | E)
    OK. Thanks a lot. Jack59240

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only