Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

Have to/ instead

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Have to/ instead
    Message from praveen101 posted on 20-12-2016 at 17:18:19 (D | E | F)
    Hello all...
    I'm confused to make it clear about if it is similar to use 'I don't have to go.' instead of 'I have to go.'
    and in which ways can we use INSTEAD in sentences...meaning it's a situation in sentences.
    Thanks in advance for your answers.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 20-12-2016 22:28

Re: Have to/ instead from gerondif, posted on 20-12-2016 at 18:47:06 (D | E)
    Hello.
    1) "I must go to this museum !" you decide yourself, it is your own choice, nobody forces you.
    2) I have to go to this meeting: can mean that somebody or something forces you to go.
    3) "I don't have to go to this meeting" means:
    I needn't go to this meeting. Nobody forces me to go to this meeting . I can stay at home.
    4) You mustn't go to this meeting: is an interdiction. You are not allowed to go to this meeting.

Can I have coffee instead of tea ?
    No? Well, I'll drink chocolate instead !

Re: Have to/ instead from suhasini, posted on 20-12-2016 at 19:02:19 (D | E)
    Hello praveen,
    I think you can't use I don't have to go instead of I have to go.
    Why because "I don't have to go" means it is not necessary to go. It is a negative form for example: "I don't have to go to work today,there is hardly work to do. So today I want to go to the cinema."
    And "I have to go" it means an obligation.when we usually use "have to" in any sentences when you have no choice.
    I think you can't use 'have to' for your personal works, you can use must Instead of have to. For example: I must fix my car and I have to go to work today by 7:00 am why because my boss organizes meeting today

Re: Have to/ instead from suhasini, posted on 20-12-2016 at 19:06:03 (D | E)
    Hello,
    I'm sorry, you already got an answer. I didn't see it.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 20-12-2016 22:31

Re: Have to/ instead from praveen101, posted on 21-12-2016 at 07:25:38 (D | E)
    Heartily thanks to both...
    it means both the sentences are grammatically correct but can be used in different situations...

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only