Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

Accent / TheRichest

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Accent / TheRichest
    Message from moicecher13 posted on 27-02-2017 at 09:46:30 (D | E | F)
    Hi there!
    In order to improve my English I sometimes watch "TheRichest" on YouTube because there is always the script. I was wondering which accent the woman is using. I would say northern American accent. What do you think about it?
    I hope I'm not off topic because I don't know if this website is made for this kind of question!
    Thank you in advance!

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 27-02-2017 22:08

Re: Accent / TheRichest from lucile83, posted on 27-02-2017 at 22:15:03 (D | E)
    Hello,
    I think it is definitely an American accent.

Re: Accent / TheRichest from jonquille, posted on 28-02-2017 at 03:14:31 (D | E)
    Hello!
    After listening to a few episodes, the accent is definitely from North America. However, it's not from the northeast USA. I, at first, thought that it was either someone from the middle of the USA, or Canada. So, I did a little research. The company that creates these series is Valnetinc -- based in the province of Québec, Canada. I don't know, however, if the narrator is from there.
    jonquille

Re: Accent / TheRichest from traviskidd, posted on 01-03-2017 at 13:54:47 (D | E)
    Hello, I think the accent is Canadian. "Twenty" and "forty" are pronounced "twenny" and "fordy" as in America, but "against" is pronounced "a-gay-nst", as in Britain.
    See you.

Re: Accent / TheRichest from moicecher13, posted on 02-03-2017 at 18:49:35 (D | E)
    Thank you all for your helpful answers!
    Just one more thing: is the Canadian accent a mix of British and American one?

Re: Accent / TheRichest from razzor, posted on 02-03-2017 at 18:57:58 (D | E)
    Hello,
    Yes, I believe so.
    For example, in both the UK and Canada, we say 'zed' when referring to the letter Z, but in the US they say 'zee'.
    However, the word 'tomato' is pronounced /təˈmeɪtoʊ/ in the US and Canada, but /təˈmɑːtəʊ/ in the UK and Australia.

Re: Accent / TheRichest from traviskidd, posted on 03-03-2017 at 02:00:06 (D | E)
    Hello, I think it should be clarified that there are differences in the varous versions of English that include differences in vocabulary (e.g. pants/trousers), pronunciation (/t'mt/-/tm t), and spelling (color/colour).

On top of these "official" differences are differences in accent, where we pronounce differently what we agree mentally are the same sound. So when an American says "twenty", a Briton hears "twenny", and when an Australian says "today", an American hears "to die". This usually doesn't affect one's ability to understand, but it can make for some funny jokes:

American policeman: "Why were you driving so fast? Did you come to America to die?"
    Australian driver: "No, yesterday!"

(Sometimes "accent" refers to both the official differences in pronunciation and the naturally different way we say what we think is the same sound. So I included "a-gay-nst" as part of the Canadian accent even though it is actually correctly pronounced in Canadian English (but not in American).)

See you.

P.S. I think IPA is better suited for precisely identifying a sound than for expressing a language's official way of pronouncing words. This is why I prefer a pronunciation guide specifically adapted to each language, where everyone speaking the language agrees on what the sound means even if some say it differently from others. In such a system, the pronunciation of "today" would be agreed by all to be, say, /tɘ'dā/, but "tomato" would be /tɘ'mātō/ in American and /tɘ'mätō/ in British.

P.P.S. So long as this site is going to use IPA, might I suggest the use of a font rather than the pictures that don't really fit well with the text?

Re: Accent / TheRichest from lucile83, posted on 03-03-2017 at 06:59:17 (D | E)
    Hello,
    IPA is quite helpful, and can be used all over the world. You just need to learn the signs, which is easy.
    You can read the words in a good dictionary and see how to pronounce them both in BrE and NAmE. Link

Please note that the starting message was about accent, not pronunciation.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only