Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

<< Retour au forum || Aller tout en bas

English only
All your questions about the English language, no French allowed.

CLIQUEZ ICI POUR REPONDRE A CE SUJET

Page 1 / 2 - Pour voir les réponses suivantes, cliquez ici: Voir la page Haut | 1 | 2 | Fin | Bas
Reading and you
Message de amandine76 posté le 24-04-2006 à 00:19:56 (S | E | F | I)

I am really fond of reading. I read during spend most of my free time reading. I like French literature (especially Maupassant's short stories, Barjavel, and many others), English literature and American literature. For the English books, I read them in English, in order to improve my English.(in order to improve that language)

What about your connection with reading?

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 24-04-2006 06:51

-------------------
Modifié par amandine76 le 26-04-2006 12:17
Thank you for correcting my mistakes

Réponse: Reading and you de zaza54, postée le 24-04-2006 à 12:07:38 (S | E)
Hello amandine,

For my part, I often read books. Indeed, both of my parents are libra(i)rians. Since I was a little girl, I'm have been fond of reading. It depends on the time I've got but I like reading either French books or English books. (without any diction(n)ary of course !). I think, I read about twenty books a year.

Bye
-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 24-04-2006 14:00

Réponse: Reading and you de online, postée le 26-04-2006 à 06:46:52 (S | E)
hi
Reading is so boring. I don’t like it. After all, what to read? Nothing is interesting. I prefer mere listening and watching films, TV. It’s funnier. Moreover, reading is harmful. My sight might get weaker over time. Thus my eyes may end myopic. No I would never read!
Good reading!

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 26-04-2006 07:02

-------------------
Modifié par online le 26-04-2006 13:34
I don't watch neither films nor TV. Just watching all what may surround us.

Réponse: Reading and you de amandine76, postée le 26-04-2006 à 12:27:07 (S | E)
Thank you online... Thanks to you, I finally know why I am so myopic, that is because I read too much But you should not get so afraid of reading, there are a lot of things that are more harmful than reading (war, violence and so on)... I also like to listen to music and watch movies (for your eyes, you should be more afraid of watching movies... as my eyes are very sensitive, I can tell you that watching movies is a lot more harmful than reading... and maybe you should also be afraid for your ears ) and I like it, but I am not OK when you say that there is nothing interesting to read... What have you read in your life to have such a negative opinion?

Réponse: Reading and you de online, postée le 26-04-2006 à 12:53:56 (S | E)
hi amandine..Maybe you are right. But you could never convince me to read. This resolution is already taken once and for all.

Réponse: Reading and you de amandine76, postée le 26-04-2006 à 13:04:48 (S | E)
Really I wonder what kind of bad experiences you can have had with reading before I don't think the fact that you don't want to read is a problem, but you probably miss some great books... Because I think that there are books for every tastes (really, it is amazing!), so even for your tastes

Réponse: Reading and you de milia12, postée le 26-04-2006 à 16:04:46 (S | E)
Hello!
In my opinion it's much more interesting to read than to watch TV or something else. I read all the time and I have found it much very/quite interessting and useful! But if you, online, don't like it it's your opinion after all but you haven't don't have to say that reading is useless and boring if you have never read a book before... Maybe when you will be are older, you will think that reading is a very interesting way to have good time. don't you?
So, have a good time then in watching TV and listening to music...

-------------------
Modifié par traviskidd le 28-04-2006 17:50

Réponse: Reading and you de online, postée le 26-04-2006 à 17:01:03 (S | E)
I don't neither watch TV nor listen music. Just watching all what may surround us to never lose sight of anything to learn how to read people.

Réponse: Reading and you de www, postée le 26-04-2006 à 17:09:23 (S | E)
I am trying to use to read but i can't i don't know why?I know that reading
is very important for improving my english but....

Réponse: Reading and you de amandine76, postée le 26-04-2006 à 17:50:50 (S | E)
Online, don't worry, reading does not take me away from what happens in the world or from people... Fortunately for me as I want to be a journalist and have to keep myself aware!

Réponse: Reading and you de dady11, postée le 26-04-2006 à 18:58:59 (S | E)

Hi everybody
In general, there is no advantages without consequences. Only, that depends on what you need. If you are determinated you will get over the risk to have sucess. Online has used his eyes to give a lot of answers to amandine76. Because he is interested to the subject he doesn't care about the risk of using the screen. That's an exeample.

-------------------
Modifié par dady11 le 26-04-2006 23:18

Réponse: Reading and you de stefke, postée le 27-04-2006 à 19:54:15 (S | E)
Hello,
I really like reading too! In fact, reading is my favourite pasttime/[leisure activity]. I always have at least a one book in progress... I read principally in French but I read the Harry Potter's books in English. I have already read the six volumes in French and now I'm reading it them again in English. I do it to improve my English but also to have the story continously because it's annoying to have to wait lots of months between each book. I have already read the first three firsts and now I'm reading the fourth one.

In French, I like action books such as Jules Verne's books, Stephen King's stories, Barjavel's, Alexandre Dumas's, and so forth...

Now, I am reading 'Notre-Dame de Paris' from by Victor Hugo and 'Le rouge et le noir' from by Stendhal.

I have loved reading ever since I was very young. My mother used to tell me some tales before I went in my to bed...

-------------------
Modifié par traviskidd le 27-04-2006 20:41

Réponse: Reading and you de traviskidd, postée le 27-04-2006 à 20:51:54 (S | E)
I'll add my opinion to this very interesting debate!

Some might be surprised to know this, but I absolutely hate to read! Books are so long, and usually so boring. Literature in high school and college was torture for me! Maybe if I hadn't been forced by my teachers to read long books about things I cared nothing about, I would have a better opinion of reading.

Of course I don't mind reading short articles or messages, and I don't mind writing when I have something to say. But when I look at books such as Steven King's, with more than 500 pages, I can't bear the thought of reading a book that long! It's too overwhelming to think about!

"Cliff's Notes", which give short synopses of all the "great" works of literature that one is forced to read in school, sell very well here. They tell you that you should read the notes along with, and not instead of, the book, but the publishers of Cliff's Notes know good and well why they are so popular!

I will admit, however, that I did enjoy "Le Petit Prince" by Saint-Exupéry. (I put the French title because I read it in French, for my high school French class.) I remember listening to the song "Just Like Heaven" by The Cure while reading it, and losing myself in a psychedelic fantasy world.

Réponse: Reading and you de amandine76, postée le 27-04-2006 à 21:15:43 (S | E)
Travisskid, maybe you'll be surprise but... I also think that litterature lessons in high school are really boring! And I even think that they can turn people into hating reading. Fortunately for me I loved reading before having these boring lessons that could have disgusted me!!!!!!

And... I love The Cure, "Just Like Heaven" is even one of my favorite song

Someone spoke of mentioned "Le Rouge Et Le Noir" by Stendhal. It is a great choice. At the beginning I thought it would be hard to read it because I was not "into" the story and it is a long book. But finally I liked it a lot and finished it very quickly!

-------------------
Modifié par traviskidd le 28-04-2006 17:54

Réponse: Reading and you de stefke, postée le 28-04-2006 à 15:36:19 (S | E)
I agree with Traviskidd and Amandine76. Books we are forced to read at school are often really boring. I really don't mind reading long books with 500,600 or more pages. I always say that I prefer a book with 1000 pages which is interesting to a book with 200 pages which is really annoying.

I think that if the book is interesting, you forget the number of the pages...

I spoke about 'Le rouge et le noir'. It is a book I have to read for my French Class but I like it all the same. Though I find that the hero is a bit odd...

Réponse: Reading and you de lethidee, postée le 28-04-2006 à 17:01:53 (S | E)
Hello everybody

Your topic is very interesting and I have to say that I'm've been fond of reading since I was 7. So, I like also very much the reading of "Le Petit Prince" written by Saint-Exupéry but if you read "The Citadel", another great book of by this author, I think that you can't read it until the end because you'll certainly find it boring.
Reading is very good for our imagination and fantaisy.

-------------------
Modifié par traviskidd le 28-04-2006 17:28

Réponse: Reading and you de traviskidd, postée le 28-04-2006 à 17:35:07 (S | E)
The nice thing about "Le Petit Prince" is that you can read it on two levels. You can either read it as a simple children's book, or you can read it as an adult, understanding well all of the commentary that the author is making by way of symbolism.

Me, at the time having only a child's understanding of French, I loved it as a simple children's book, although I did get some of the underlying message that the author was trying to convey.

Réponse: Reading and you de milia12, postée le 28-04-2006 à 17:42:12 (S | E)
As far as I'm concerned I agree with all of you! there are interesting books and also boring books; it depends on the reader's taste... But when you read a magazine or something else you read too... So everybody reads, don't they?
-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 28-04-2006 17:50

Réponse: Reading and you de traviskidd, postée le 28-04-2006 à 17:57:20 (S | E)
Of course, milia! In fact, we are reading these messages!

Réponse: Reading and you de flocfloc, postée le 23-08-2006 à 17:32:33 (S | E)
hi everybody!!!
I love reading. I spend most of my spare time reading, especially novels. I also read a lot of short stories. My favourite writer is J.K.Rowling.As you know,she wrote Harry Potter 's adventures.I also love ' Hell ' written by Lolita Pille. It's the most moving book I have ever read.and you, do you like reading like me? Have your say!
goodbye

-------------------
Modifié par bobine le 23-08-2006 21:26
Fâchée avec les "I" ??

Réponse: Reading and you de amisha, postée le 24-08-2006 à 09:32:13 (S | E)
Hi there, reading is boring for me but as I need to improve my English I have to read much absolutly in English. They say the more you eat the more you want. The more I read the more more I want. Even if I dislike reading but I am doing my best.
Kind regards.
-------------------
Modifié par bridg le 24-08-2006 09:33
Could you please, find your capital letters' key on your keyboard It would be very kind of you. Thank you.

Réponse: Reading and you de amisha, postée le 24-08-2006 à 09:46:56 (S | E)
Hello there,
Is there someone who is going to help in this situation, i speak english a bit nice but the big problem for me is to read well i have got difficulties to pronunce some words that why to read is boring for me but like some much to read. So, what am i going to do if i want to improve my reading.
Thanks a lot
King regards
-------------------
Modifié par bridg le 24-08-2006 09:57
Thank you for correcting your post by putting your capital letters in it please

Réponse: Reading and you de june70, postée le 29-08-2006 à 09:07:50 (S | E)
Hello!

I was always surrounded with books. My mother reads a lot, and I work in a book shop. I'm consumer in my town's library too. Well, as you can see I don't spend a day without taking a book in my hands.
For me reading means above all escape. To those who are saying that they'll never read I just want to notice that my father never read...until the retirement! So never say never!
But reading is a leisure and it isn't incompatible with watching television.
My favourite authors are Emile Zola, John Irving, Colette, Amin Maalouf. Now I'm discovering Indian literature.

Have a nice day!

June70

Réponse: Reading and you de zaza54, postée le 29-08-2006 à 12:13:53 (S | E)
As for some of you, I'm keen on reading J.K. Rowling's novels. I've just began reading the fourth in English aa few days ago. But, I recognize that most of the time, I read French ones. I also read Steinbeck english books (Mice and men, for e.g.)

Réponse: Reading and you de lili24771, postée le 30-08-2006 à 20:19:22 (S | E)
Hi everybody!

I like much so to read! It is really enriching! All sort of books! That opens the spirit ! All the months, I read (le magasine GEO : I don't know how translate this words in english??? sorry..) There are really gorgeous photographs of landscapes. I read novels too about 3/4 per months! Finally, I have a lot of luck because I work in Paris and I have two hours of transport per day. Thus I can read. I will certainly not take time if I worked close to at home.

Best wishes

Réponse: Reading and you de alifemaker, postée le 31-08-2006 à 18:25:26 (S | E)
Hi everybody !
for me reading is a very important activity ,it is really one of my best hobbies .I especially like to read Arabic novels and books which are according me a golden treasure,also I'm interested by English and French literature to better my language ,learn more about other civilisation and finally to improve my imagination

Réponse: Reading and you de eclair1, postée le 01-09-2006 à 19:01:43 (S | E)
Hi
Oh, you speak about reading?? good.
Reading is one of my best hobbies, I read many and many books specially in summer holidays, because I have the time all the day. But it doesn't improve my language;I haven't many books and stories.My favorite french writer is Comtesse de ségur...I advise you to read her beautiful, very beautiful stories.
But in english I read the book I found, just give a book, I will read it.
Bye and thanks.

-------------------
Modifié par eclair1 le 01-09-2006 19:04

Réponse: Reading and you de kolokola, postée le 09-10-2006 à 23:00:52 (S | E)
Hello

For me, the reading is always my great passion. If I have an interesting book, I must immediately read it without stopping. I like to read and to collect detective novels, historical ....etc .I cannot forget the joy which I had when I found a book which I dreamed.

Réponse: Reading and you de paraodeus, postée le 09-10-2006 à 23:50:57 (S | E)
I LOVE to read!!! I will not bore you with whats already been said about reading's virtues but I will say that reading does not hinder ones ability to look at the world. I believe that when one reads they can for a little while adopt a new paradigm and see the world as someone else might view it. to me it is a tragedy when someone does not read but It is only my opinion. I happen to know quite a few people who do not like to read but are very accomplished. I often read books by Jane Austin, Henry James, and John Steinbeck. My favorite book as of yet is "Pride and Prejudice." I wish that I could say that I've read books in french however, in the united states books in other languages besides spanish and english are hard to come by.

Réponse: Reading and you de adonis15, postée le 14-10-2006 à 16:07:19 (S | E)
Hi everybody and so many thanks for your contributions!
As far I can remember, I always had a book to read. I started with comic book as all childs. When I was a teen I discovered the french classical litterature. I plonged deeply in that magical world feeds by universal values. Than I moved to russian books (translated in frensh). It's such a prolific and rich litterature. I advice laywoman and layman to try.
Know I'm trying to read most often in english to improve my language. I just finished the bestseller "The davanci code".
I can't leave without telling something about the Algerian litterature. There is a plethora of writer both in arabic and french. I can just cite jumble : Kateb yacine, Abdelhamid Benhedougga, Jean Senac, Mohammed Dib, Assia Djebar, Mouloud Mammeri, Ahlam Mosteghanemi, Rachid Boudjedra, Tahar Djaout, Rachid Mimouni, Frantz Fanon, Albert Camus and the most prolific nowadays Yasmina Khadra....
Thanks again

CLIQUEZ ICI POUR REPONDRE A CE SUJET
Page 1 / 2 - Pour voir les réponses suivantes, cliquez ici: Voir la page Haut | 1 | 2 | Fin | Bas

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux