Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

<< Retour au forum || Aller tout en bas

English only
All your questions about the English language, no French allowed.

Ce sujet est fermé, vous ne pouvez pas poster de réponses

A hole?( find the words)
Message de jardin62 posté le 08-03-2005 à 21:41:39 (S | E | F | I)

I love words. We all do. I opened my dictionary and there it was, one of the most modest ones!
-Oxford Concise English Dictionary :' A hollow place, cavity, excavation, etc.' Yes, but a... can refer to any orifice of the body. But let's get the scatological stuff out of the way! Let's play!
- Find the word related to ...
( see the title):
1- First of all, sorry for being rude! The ... on backside is frequently used to insult someone ( drivers very often!): - - - - - - - !
2- For a soldier that place evokes a place of refugee from flying bullets but also a mud-filled, rain-soaked dungeon of despair. (Not even good for foxes!): a f - - - - - -
3- Many desks have p- - - - - - - - - - for keeping letters and documents. ( Nobody has ever missed a meeting after 7.30 p.m).
4- Don't p - - - - - - - - - your clever ideas. Let them 'fly' in the air instead. Someone will be so glad to catch them!
5- Poor dear! Your talents and merits haven't been recognized. You have been p - - - - - h - - - d on your old shelf once again.
6- Useful, indispensable on shirts of course! But if you can't escape from a tedious conversation that you want to end, you have been b - - - - - h - - - -
7- Come and see us! We have a cosy, comfortable h - - - - - h - - -
( Thank you J.R.R Tolkien!)
8- We divorced not only because my wife was less than responsible with money - (Money b - - - - a h - - - in her p - - k - - - ) but also because I was consumed with passion for LauraLee.
9- Something capital is missing! There's a - - - - in that story.
10- She doesn't believe you, of course. She has p - - k - - a - - - - in your theory.
11- Don't worry, Maria always spouts nonsense. She keeps talking th - - - - - a - - - - in her h - - -
12- Mother of God! Half of the pie has been eaten! Someone has m - - - a - - - - in it!
13- I see! You have ressources in reserve...Just in case.
-Yes, I always have an a - - in the - - - -
14- They are extinguished, they have exploded, their attraction is nevertheless extremely intense: b - - - k h - - - s

* I hope I didn't forget one ( - ) : how difficult to check! (My eyes are ageing...)

-------------------
Edité par bridg le 08-03-2005 21:42
English only for English members

Réponse: A hole?( find the words) de felin, postée le 10-03-2005 à 20:09:02 (S | E)
Hi Jardin

I would like to do but you know my brain is dead .
It's difficult to find them.

Réponse: A hole?( find the words) de jardin62, postée le 10-03-2005 à 21:08:16 (S | E)
hello felin!

Let's wait a little and you'll be given the solutions:
*"er... you are never never being rude, are you? not even when seeing someone really stupid? --->Number 1
* 1,2,3,4 & 5 : the words have all someting in common with a bird and a 'cavity'
*6 :is formed on the word 'button'
*7: if you have read (or only seen the title of) the first book from TOLKIEN... you get the 1st part of the word.
*8:'Yes! good! you are 'burning'!
*9: Don't ask a man to take off his shoes you would see a - - - - in his sock!
*10:Youcan also pick up strawberries!
** That's enough for tonight!:

Réponse: A hole?( find the words) de jardin62, postée le 13-03-2005 à 18:51:09 (S | E)
Allez je donne les solutions!
- Sorry for being rude: the HOLE on your backside (= votre 'derrière') is often used to insult someone: 'ASSHOLE!' ( je ne mettrai pas la traduction!).
- For a soldier ( think of the 1st World War and of all the killing, flying bullets!) a FOXHOLE evokes a place of refugee: A fox also has a FOXHOLE (terrier) but it's far from being muddy, rain-soaked as the poor soldier's!
- In the staff room we have special 'letter-boxes' where all sorts of documents are stocked : they are our PIDGEONHOLE(S) (nos casiers).
- I have a colleague who never proposes his interesting ideas: he PIDGEONHOLE(S) ( il les garde 'au chaud', dans sa tête,il les 'couve'!)
- S'il continue...His talents and merits will never be recognized! He will be PIDGEONHOLED ( mis au 'placard',sans avancement de carrière)
- No shirts without BUTTONS I think... If you can't stop a boring conversation, you have been BUTTONHOLED (coincé! ) !
- We have a nice little chalet in the mountains! Come and enjoy our HOBBITHOLE! ( JRR Tolkien a écrit 'Le Seigneur des Anneaux' dans lequel il donne vie à la communauté des HOBBITS, petites personnes dépassant rarement 90 cm, et vivant dans des maisons longues, basses et confortables). C'est devenu valable pour désigner une 'petite maison bien confortable'
- When someone isn't able to keep a single coin, you say that money BURNS A HOLE in his/her POCKET. = l'argent lui brûle les doigts...
- If something important for the story is missing, there's a HOLE in it.
- Fortunately, your boss isn't as ignorant as you think! She has PICKED a HOLE in your 'theory'.
- Your 15 year-old daughter talks nonsense? Tell her she keeps talking THROUGH a HOLE in her HEAD!( elle parle en l'air! elle brasse du vent!)FONT>
- A half-eaten pie... Someone has MADE a HOLE in it. (= quelqu'un l'a entamé, y a fait un trou)
- Don't worry I have ressources in reserve (good ideas...): I always have an ACE (un as) in the HOLE ( comme au jeu de poker où si l'on dépose les cartes face cachée on dit qu'elles sont IN THE HOLE, j'ai toujours une 'carte' à jouer, en réserve).
- Old stars having exploded, being extinguished, but still attracting intensively : BLACK HOLES in the Universe.( les fameux 'trous noirs'...)

" et bé! il en faudra du mérite pour lire tout ça! alors x 2

Ce sujet est fermé, vous ne pouvez pas poster de réponse.

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux