Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

<< Retour au forum || Aller tout en bas

English only
All your questions about the English language, no French allowed.

Ce sujet est fermé, vous ne pouvez pas poster de réponses

Cellular phones.
Message de aimen7 posté le 27-06-2005 à 19:36:19 (S | E | F | I)

Hello everybody,
I wonder why the English only forum is so quiet these days? May I suggest you to gather around a talk about a completely ordinary but so much interesting subject.
I have come across an article in a magazine lately. It was dealing with "the use of cellular phones in daily life".
Do you know that there are some people who refuse to use them. They have chosen to live without cellulars because them simply hate them. You find this amazing no ! They argue that these little "gadgets" dehumanize nowadays societies and disturb them too much. I agree with them on that very point. I personally dislike the use of this kind of phones.
How about you? Do you like cellular phones? would you be ready to throw them by the window because they disturb you like some people in the article? Could you imagine your daily life without a cellular phone?

See you later!

Réponse: Cellular phones. de parfait, postée le 27-06-2005 à 21:00:08 (S | E)
Hello Aimen.
Once more you come back to the site to give a little life to the forum. To deliver my opinion on the topic, I would say that I can’t do anything without my cellular. It is a working tool, a faithful companion, a means of contact impossible to circumvent. I can’t think to spend one day without my cellular to my sides. Certain days, it disturbs us when we need a little intimacy and calms around us but in general I can’t leave it far from me. I never extinct it.

Réponse: Cellular phones. de aimen7, postée le 27-06-2005 à 21:28:58 (S | E)
Good evening,
to you parfait, glad to meet you again on the site.
Thanks to take part in the talk.

Réponse: Cellular phones. de jardin62, postée le 27-06-2005 à 22:27:39 (S | E)
hello aimen!
I have a cellular phone...I have had it for 3 years now. I regularly forget it.
It's in a drawer at home! A shame, you'll think. I agree because I should take it: I often go riding. I sometimes go for the day and I think it would better if I had the phone.
On the other hand, I think: 'what for?' and I refuse to imagine horrible things that could occur...
Then, I hate seeing people speaking aloud in the streets as if they were 'mad'. You can't catch eyes, you can't even think of disturbing someone asking for the time...Everyone is talking to an absent... It's sad.
Communication killing communication...
That's life!

Réponse: Cellular phones. de aimen7, postée le 27-06-2005 à 23:08:57 (S | E)
hello jardin,
I bought my own cellular phone two years ago. Today, I can hardly make it work, I used to call for help each time I wanted to use it or even answer a call. In fact I don't want to get used to it or to depend on it. That's why I don't pay attention to it and forget it everywhere in the house.
I bought it mainly to receive calls from the primary school my son goes to. I make most of my calls at home via my "fixed telephone", or better said, "corded phone", and people except the school and a few friends never call me on my cell because they know I won't answer, not because I don't want to, they guess that the cell is probably somewhere lost in the house.
I thought I was the only one to hate cellular phones, but in fact quite a lot of people are also kind of "allergic" to that type of phones.

-------------------
Edité par aimen7 le 27-06-2005 23:09

-------------------
Edité par aimen7 le 27-06-2005 23:45

Réponse: Cellular phones. de traviskidd, postée le 28-06-2005 à 01:46:14 (S | E)
I remember reading a comic once where a little girl told her father (something like):

You know what would be nice? Phones that came with cords so you wouldn't have to worry about losing them!

Réponse: Cellular phones. de aimen7, postée le 28-06-2005 à 02:21:02 (S | E)
Hi traviskidd,
Funny the joke, really. That kind of phone would fit me perfectly

Réponse: Cellular phones. de lethidee, postée le 28-06-2005 à 07:19:03 (S | E)
Hello

I have no cellular phone. Am I defective ?

Réponse: Cellular phones. de willy, postée le 28-06-2005 à 10:10:25 (S | E)
Hi !

Well, I've had a mobile for a few years now but I must say I don't often use it. I always carry it in my bag just in case : if you get into trouble, if your car breaks down, then of course you really need it, but I just can't understand why people need to phone each other wherever they go. Socializing in that way just doesn't appeal to me.

Réponse: Cellular phones. de aimen7, postée le 28-06-2005 à 11:45:55 (S | E)
good morning everybody,
There are many reasons why people choose to have a mobile. For many it's "a working tool" , others use it just for fun or because it' fashionable... I personaly belong to the category who uses a cell in case of necessity.
Actually, according to the magazine article, I quote: "...62% of the population in France has got a mobile...". Therefore 38% refuse to possess one. So lethidee don't feel "defective", you're not alone.
These non-users come from all social backgrounds and from different age classes.

Réponse: Cellular phones. de traviskidd, postée le 28-06-2005 à 15:40:43 (S | E)
I like to have a cell phone in my car, only for emergencies, but I don't carry it with me everywhere I go. The service is pre-paid, so I don't have to worry about contracts or "plan minutes". It's more expensive per minute, but since I rarely use it, it's better for me.

Réponse: Cellular phones. de grabuge, postée le 28-06-2005 à 17:33:38 (S | E)
Hello Aimen,

It's a good idea to speak about various subjects. So, I'll try to give you my opinion.
I bought a cellular phone several years ago when I lived on an Island because, I was afraid to break down with my old car on isolated roads without booth. I had, one time, my car broken down and that had been very hard to come at home.
Since I've been back in France, I use my cellular phone when I practise my sport in case of emergency, and also when I wait for an urgent call.
I must tell that I'm not a good customer because I don't use it. It's too expensive and I needn't phone when I'm out. I prefer calling my friends or my family comfortably installed at home.

Réponse: Cellular phones. de serena, postée le 29-06-2005 à 01:02:03 (S | E)
Hello Aimen!

This is indeed an important subject to talk about. Thank you.

I’ve had my mobile phone for about 5 years. Before that, I used to find it useless and really disturbing. Today, I can’t do without it, but only when I have to go out. I can thus make an urgent call if necessary, ask about my children, tell where I am if ever there is snarl up in traffic. And it’s the same hold for the others, it’s reassuring to know why someone’s late.
I’d never had all these thoughts before, but living in a disrupted country made us become very anxious.
Even the students are allowed to have cellular at school, in case things go badly, they'll be able to talk with family.

That's to tell you mobile phone can be compulsory, cause for special reasons, the normal phone lines can be unobtainable here.
That’s right they're sometimes disturbing, but we have many options to fix that: we only have to select "silent".

But when I come back home, I always forget it in my handbag which is itself immediately thrown in my cupboard. I hardly remember it before the next day......if ever I am to go out again.

Réponse: Cellular phones. de aimen7, postée le 29-06-2005 à 12:14:42 (S | E)
Hello everybody,

I notice from all the reactions above that we women tend to forget our cell phones much easier than men. Is it that we are so involved in all-absorbing daily tasks!!!

Anyway, let's make a break with a funny little phone joke:

It's about a man who is on the phone with another person and it seems that there is a kind of unfortunate misunderstanding.

Man: Hullo! Is it eleven,eleven,eleven(11 11 11)?
woman: Sorry Sir, here it's one one, one one, one one.
Man: Are sure it's not eleven, eleven, eleven?
Woman: Of course I'm sure, I repeat here it's 11 11 11!!!!
Man: Alright, I've got the wrong number then, sorry to disturb you Madam
women: Never mind Sir, good bye.

Have a nice day!

Réponse: Cellular phones. de jeanmi, postée le 04-07-2005 à 08:36:06 (S | E)
Hello Aimen7 (or should I say Aimen8?)
for this very interesting topic.

I've just read that you noticed women forget their mobile phone easier than men. Sorry to contradict you, but I am a man and I often, if not to say almost always, leave my mobile at home. And sometimes I have it with me but off or the battery is dead and I wait a few days before recharching it.

I consider the mobile as a useful way to inform people we will be late because of a particularly event we couldn't foresee and thus prevent them from being too much worried. I waited a long time before buying one. But the day I was "trapped" in a train because of an accident on the railway, I decided to buy one. I was blocked for two hours, my friend waiting for me at the station and no means to tell him what was happening not to say about the days when they were on strike.
But now that I work far closer to my house, I don't see it that useful and my friends know it is useless to call me on my phone, they will immediately get the voice mail.

Furthermore, I can't bear people receiving a call while we are eating at a restaurant, speaking or listening to something interesting... It is really bothering me. How did people do at the time when cellular phones didn't exist? Couldn't they wait coming back home before phoning? What about all these teenagers who text all day long just to say "hello", "what are you doing at the moment?", is it that important? And I don't talk about the disaster provoked by SMSs. As a teacher I can't ignore the fact that our "blond heads" tend to write with SMSs even in their tests... They forget their mother tongue even the simpliest rules of the language... What a shame!...

-------------------
Edité par jeanmi le 04-07-2005 08:36

Réponse: Cellular phones. de aimen7, postée le 04-07-2005 à 12:53:18 (S | E)
Hello jeanmi, hello everybody,
Your reaction to the subject is welcome jeanmi, thanks.
Let me tell you first that when I explained the problem with my username to my son, he said to me:" Alright you've used my own name for your username, ok, then you are aimen7 and I am aimen8".
He's fond of English too, so don't be surprised if someday you find his username on the list just after mine.

Well, I come back to the subject. I'll start by saying of course that some Men AND Women may leave or forget their phone at home because they don't really need it except in situation where a phone cell is strongly useful and highly recommended. I was making a joke when saying that women have more chores or tasks than men so that most of the time they forget their cell.
Anyway, more seriously, you've made an interesting comparison between today's way of living and past time life which was much easier. They were no cellular phones, no violence on T.V...
It's amazing to see how much the world has changed in a few decades.
Obviously, problems of today are much more difficult and serious to cope with, therefore, we feel the need to self-secure ourselves. We struggle against dangers which didn't exist before. For many, a phone cell is a means to insure a kind of security.
You 've mentionned rightly the problem of our children and cellulars. I was expecting that reaction, since I also hate seeing them so dependent and addicted to this gadget.
As an example, parents nowadays feel the need to buy a cell to their child entering middle school to get informed at any moment of possible troubles. They over-protect them.
I agree with you jeanmi that most of these "blond heads" fail at school largely because they are disturbed and loose concentration.
Besides, they haven't completed the acquisition of their mother tongue yet. In the meantime, they use a new communication code and their mind is registering short practicle expressions to write sms's. To stay in the French register, expressions like(QD9, TOQP, manG, aprem, and the like...). Even smileys are here to replace language, just for the sake of gaining time and place.
As a result, they are incapable of speaking or writing correctly and even refuse to learn their own language or foreign languages. In fact, they've discovered a new concept of communication, so why using the old one!
I imagine quite easily language teachers "scratching their hair" trying desperately to teach them something.

Réponse: Cellular phones. de jeanmi, postée le 04-07-2005 à 13:26:29 (S | E)
Thank you aimen the seventh,

Your last remark may explain why I have so little hair on my head. This explains that !...

Read you soon

Réponse: Cellular phones. de aimen7, postée le 04-07-2005 à 20:22:21 (S | E)
Hello jeanmi,
I'm glad to see that you find my remark funny, that was my aim.
However, having "so little hair on your head" means certainly that you're a good teacher who is doing his best to fulfill his mission.

Réponse: Cellular phones. de ruofei, postée le 05-07-2005 à 06:34:53 (S | E)
Hello Aimen and everyone!

Every means of communication is great and helps us keep in touch with one another.
Now, about cell phones, I think they're of good use as long as they don't become an obsession...They can be real addictive.
I don't have one but I'm thinking of buying one: I'm always late to my meetings because something always cracks up e.g. bus break down, can't find my home keys, forget to do something, meet somebody on my way....You name it! In those situations, a cell phone proves to be useful...Nothing worse than wait and make people wait for you, is there?
So, as above-mentionned, it's worth having a cell phone in case of emergency.

However, I share Jeanmi's point of view and admit that it bugs me when people spend their restaurant time hanging on their phones...I remember on evening (in China), I was having a couple of drinks in some bar with my friends and there were 3 girls sitting at the next table...They spent the whole evening sending texts and giving calls to their friends or whoever...and the only "non-virtual" interaction they had was reading their SMS and telling what was up to the others........That was pathetic! I mean, where's the social aspect in that??

You really can survive without a mobile phone...I've managed fairly well this year . Use cell phones but don't ley them consume your real-life time!

have a nice day!

Réponse: Cellular phones. de traviskidd, postée le 05-07-2005 à 16:02:13 (S | E)
Of course, ruofei's last comment could be said about the Internet ... and this site!

Réponse: Cellular phones. de bridg, postée le 05-07-2005 à 22:27:11 (S | E)
Hello aimen7 I’m late I know sorry

I don’t like telephone, perhaps because with my job I’m often supposed to be called. I’ve a cellular phone and my son too; it’s a link between us. When he was young I bought those phones to help him to become independent in the street coming back from school. Step by step I was standing in different places in the town and hearing my voice, he tried to join me. In fact he had no sense of direction and with this method he acquired it. I need a cellular phone but I hate it and I never call.

Réponse: Cellular phones. de aimen7, postée le 06-07-2005 à 08:44:03 (S | E)
Good morning everybody,
Hello Bridg, don't worry, you're not late at all, the subject is open at any time. Thanks to share your opinion with us.
I agree with you, I'm myself thinking of providing my kid with a cell when he's older. He's short-sighted and has got difficulties even to cross the street. He's afraid of cars. That worries me a lot sometimes.
I'll buy him one provided that it doesn't disturb him at school, and prevent him from doing his work correctly. More and more young pupils loose concentration in class and the cellulars are one of the causes of that terrible situation.

Have a nice day.

Réponse: Cellular phones. de felin, postée le 06-07-2005 à 12:52:32 (S | E)
Hello Aimen

I've had a mobile phone for 6 years now. Since I have discovered the cellular phones I was so happy because I find it very useful. I was born with hard of hearing (Deaf) I learnt lip-reading so for me mobile phone is very helpful for my daily life. It’s necessary for me to use text message (SMS) because of my hearing problem over the phone and for emergencies call as well and I always keep on the vibration (no ring). That’s why I like it.

Réponse: Cellular phones. de aimen7, postée le 06-07-2005 à 17:05:01 (S | E)
Hello felin,
I understand quite well how useful and essential it is for you to have a mobile. Cellulars' technical performances cannot be denied compared with those of corded phones. It's a real technological progress.
As he's short-sighted and almost blind without his progressive glasses, my son has seen his hearing capacities doubled. He dislikes noise and fortunately he can find my cellular when it rings somewhere lost in the house.

-------------------
Edité par aimen7 le 06-07-2005 17:05

Réponse: Cellular phones. de david_f06789, postée le 06-07-2005 à 22:57:50 (S | E)
Hello Aimen,

I (’m) agree with you about the cellular phone (mobile phone!), particularly, when I hear the phone (’s) ringing in the during a conference, meeting, in the cinema,…Etc (and so on). But, it is very practical for joining the persons in the out of necessity (when necessary) or for the people who displace frequently.

For me, the cellular phone is very good only when the people make a good use of it and respect for the others.

David

-------------------
Edité par serena le 07-07-2005 03:18

Réponse: Cellular phones. de aimen7, postée le 07-07-2005 à 14:44:22 (S | E)
Hello everybody,
A good try david, carry on!

About the mobile ringing during a meeting, let me tell you a funny story which happened to me a few months ago: I was attending a meeting(15 members) and as I was talking, a mobile started ringing.
Everybody heard the sound of a cow doing "moo". Everyone (except me) was looking around trying to guess where the sound could be coming from. Then my collegues all started looking at me and bursted of laughter.
They told me that the cow sound came from my own cell phone.
Then I immediately looked for it into my bag and stopped it.
As they were laughing, I was trying to explain them that I thought it was at home.and that my son had changed the usual sound into the "moo" sound of a cow. I was really convinced that it was at home.. About who put it in my bag, that remained a mystery.
I 've got a few anectodes like this one about mobiles, I'll tell them to you another time.

Réponse: Cellular phones. de amyasyl, postée le 07-07-2005 à 17:32:13 (S | E)
about this term I think that technology involved.the usefulness of cellular phone increased and became very important in society. for me "one man ,one cellular phone".

-------------------
Edité par bridg le 07-07-2005 17:33

Réponse: Cellular phones. de amyasyl, postée le 07-07-2005 à 17:35:06 (S | E)
about this term i think that technology involved.the usefulness of cellular phone increased and became very important in society. for me "one man ,one cellular phone".

Réponse: Cellular phones. de rariri, postée le 07-07-2005 à 18:13:07 (S | E)
hello
i have one cellular phone and i like

Réponse: Cellular phones. de clarisse1, postée le 14-07-2005 à 13:10:41 (S | E)
Hi,
I brought my cellular phone 5 years ago because I was moving in to my university campus. So it was my only communication link with my family (no corded phone there). Now, I've just got a corded phone in my appartment(US)/ flat which I can call "corded lines" for free. But I always use my cellular outsides. I couldn't do whithout it because it's a habit but I'm not always hanging at it.
I'm conscious of my dependance but not afraid of.

On the other hand, the thing that really interests me and could make me change my habits would be the potentiel or effective danger of cellular waves. What do you think?

-------------------
Edité par jeanmi le 14-07-2005 13:31

Réponse: Cellular phones. de nannylle, postée le 14-07-2005 à 13:59:04 (S | E)
Hi everybody!

I have a cellular phone but I need it just sometimes like when I go outside and that my parents are worried... I also use it to give some news to my friends who live faraway... I think that I can leave it but I will miss it three days later... But I don't understand how it can disturb us. Because when you want intimacy, you can put it out... But I also know people who do not like it ... and it is good that each one has his own opinion...

So bye bye everybody!!

Neda

-------------------
Edité par jeanmi le 14-07-2005 14:05

Réponse: Cellular phones. de aimen7, postée le 14-07-2005 à 14:22:15 (S | E)
Hello everybody,

Hi clarisse1, thanks a lot for your opinion on the subject. I agree that in some cases cellulars are more than necessary for someone isolated with no corded phone in the surroundings.
You've done well to mention the possible misdeeds of cellular waves on our health. According to the serious article I've mentionned above, there is a growing debate on the risks or effects of electromagnetic waves on the brain. Actually, the problem was raised when the third generation of cellulars was created. (waves are sent out by antennas and captured by the cells and the 3rd cell generation requires more powerful antennas and terminals).
New studies have been completed at the end of 2004 and haven't been published yet. So far, there's nothing convincing about this danger since supervision oraganisms admit that research on the matter lack time to validate the experiments.
However, there seems to be a work done around preventive actions like, making ear-kits compulsory or reinforcing communication campaigns aiming at reducing the use of mobiles.

Réponse: Cellular phones. de aimen7, postée le 14-07-2005 à 14:28:58 (S | E)
Hi nannylle,
A nice username
Thanks for your point of view either. A good advice you're giving us, to use mobiles when necessary and to use it with moderation.

Ce sujet est fermé, vous ne pouvez pas poster de réponse.

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux