|> Other English exercises on the same topics: Conditional and hypothesis | Future | Past | Plu-perfect | Find the correct tense [Change theme]|
|> Double-click on words you don't understand.|
We want to work with tenses ...(1/2)
Tenses, tenses ! ... We'd still like to work on tenses ....
Mixed tenses, linked to the past, especially !
* I'll tell you a story : Remember, the tense used for narration is the simple past.
ex : The modest seamstress worked in London.
* If two actions happened simultaneously in the past, then
the long action (the important one) is in the preterite in -ing and the short action which interrupted it, is in the simple past
ex: While she was walking up the street, she imagined her dream ...
* If an action happened before an action in the simple past , it must be in the past perfect simple (or in -ing) if we want to insist on the length of the action
had + verb in the past participle ou had + been + verb + ing
ex: She had always lived/ had always been living a humble life.
* If you need to use a future, remember that it doesn't get on well with a past !
You'll have to use the conditional = would + verb
ex : She wouldn't spend her little money on flowers.
* If you need a modal auxiliary, can => could and may=> might
ex : Though very poor, she could imagine her dream.
Ready ? Now, let's follow Myrtle Brown's adventure ... (and take care of your tenses ...)
English exercise "We want to work with tenses ...(1/2)" created by here4u with The test builder. [More lessons & exercises from here4u]
Click here to see the current stats of this English test
Please log in to save your progress.
End of the free exercise to learn English: We want to work with tenses ...(1/2)
A free English exercise to learn English.
Other English exercises on the same topics : Conditional and hypothesis | Future | Past | Plu-perfect | Find the correct tense | All our lessons and exercises