Click here to log in
4 million accounts created!
JOIN our free club and learn English now!
Get a free English lesson every week! 2 MILLION subscribers!
- Our other sites
Learn English > English lessons and exercises > English test #106538: To mind and expressions
To mind and expressions
TO MIND= to disturb, to be careful of, to take care of, to pay attention to, to feel that something is important and to feel interested in it or upset about it.
1) The verb TO MIND is followed by :
* a noun :
ex : I don't mind chocolate from time to time.
* a gerund :
ex : Would you mind my (me) singing ?
* a clause :
ex : I don't mind if you don't talk to me ! = it doesn't matter ...
but not by an infinitive.
2) To mind is most often used in the interrogative and negative forms :
ex : She doesn't mind staying up late.
ex : Do you mind my smoking ? ( me smoking = less formal ) = smoking and ready to put out his cigarette = Do you dislike the fact I'm smoking ?
ex: Do you mind if I smoke ? The person will light a cigarette if permission is given.
3) To mind is also used in the imperative + a clause (often a negative one) : = Be careful ! (This expression is used in the UK.)
ex : Mind you don't fall ! ; Mind you don't bang your head ! Mind the step !
ex : Mind your own business !
4) To mind is also used to express polite requests :
ex : Would you mind switching on the light for me, please ?
5) An expression : Mind you ... is used to add something to what you have just said, especially to make it less strong. = It's mostly spoken English and quite informal.
ex : The meal was expensive ... Mind you, it was delicious !
BEWARE ! Do not mistake : 'I dont mind ...' and 'I don't care...' (= I'm not interested !)
Now, you're ready for the test !
English exercise "To mind and expressions" created by here4u with The test builder
Click here to see the current stats of this English test
Please log in to save your progress.
End of the free exercise to learn English: To mind and expressions
A free English exercise to learn English.
Other English exercises on the same topics : Speaking | Idioms | Politeness | All our lessons and exercises