|> Other English exercises on the same topics: Adjectives | Speaking | Frequent mistakes [Change theme]|
|> Similar tests: - Placement test beginners: Check your spelling - Vocabulary: greeting people - Past simple or present perfect - Comparative of superiority - Vocabulary: on the phone - Order of adjectives - Adjective and preposition - Superlative + and adjective|
|> Double-click on words you don't understand|
Last and The last
LAST is mostly used before the days of the week, and before the words : week, month, term, semester, year...
ex: He knows the last three paragraphs by heart. He has learnt them a lot!
ex: I couldn't understand the last two words of your sentence.
2) LAST or THE LAST : * last month = the month before, the preceding month - * the last month = the month ending a list or enumeration.
3) THE LAST MONTH / WEEK ... can also refer to a period which has just passed ...
4) (The) LATEST and not THE LAST is used when it means the most recent
ex : Have you seen Spielberg's latest film ?
ex : This is my latest test and I promise it won't be the last one !
5) A few expressions :
- Last, but not least = At the end of a list, or enumeration = the last one, but it's not the worst ! (No judgement of value! often used with a smile!)
- At last = Finally
- At long last = After a long moment ...
- Lately = Recently
- Last but one = (British English)= Not the last one, but the one before ...
- It's the last drop (which makes the cup run over!) = Enough is enough ! I can't take more ...
- It's the last straw (which breaks the camel's back!) = is the same proverb, just a little more picturesque and exotic ! (I like it !)
ex : I saw uncle Jack and Paul: they've both changed a lot! The former has put on a lot of weight, the latter is now wearing glasses!
Now, you must be ready to do the exercise and make no mistake ! Do it !
English exercise "Last and The last" created by here4u with The test builder
Click here to see the current stats of this English test
Please log in to save your progress.
End of the free exercise to learn English: Last and The last
A free English exercise to learn English.
Other English exercises on the same topics : Adjectives | Speaking | Frequent mistakes | All our lessons and exercises