Click here to log in
4 million accounts created!
JOIN our free club and learn English now!
Get a free English lesson every week! 2 MILLION subscribers!
- Our other sites
Learn English > English lessons and exercises > English test #106880: Last and The last
Last and The last
LAST is mostly used before the days of the week, and before the words : week, month, term, semester, year...
ex : Pat came to see us last week.
ex : The last week of the holidays was a real wonder ...
1) (The) LAST is placed before numbers :
ex: He knows the last three paragraphs by heart. He has learnt them a lot!
ex: I couldn't understand the last two words of your sentence.
2) LAST or THE LAST : * last month = the month before, the preceding month - * the last month = the month ending a list or enumeration.
ex : Last month, I went to the Alps for a long hike.
ex : I'll spend the last month of the year in the sun. = (December)
3) THE LAST MONTH / WEEK ... can also refer to a period which has just passed ...
ex : The last two months were horrible for me as I had a broken leg and was very dependent ...
4) (The) LATEST and not THE LAST is used when it means the most recent
ex : Have you seen Spielberg's latest film ?
ex : This is my latest test and I promise it won't be the last one !
5) A few expressions :
- Last, but not least = At the end of a list, or enumeration = the last one, but it's not the worst ! (No judgement of value! often used with a smile!)
- At last = Finally
- At long last = After a long moment ...
- Lately = Recently
- Last but one = (British English)= Not the last one, but the one before ...
- It's the last drop (which makes the cup run over!) = Enough is enough ! I can't take more ...
- It's the last straw (which breaks the camel's back!) = is the same proverb, just a little more picturesque and exotic ! (I like it !)
ex : I saw uncle Jack and Paul: they've both changed a lot! The former has put on a lot of weight, the latter is now wearing glasses!
Now, you must be ready to do the exercise and make no mistake ! Do it !
English exercise "Last and The last" created by here4u with The test builder
Click here to see the current stats of this English test [Save] [Load] [?]
End of the free exercise to learn English: Last and The last
A free English exercise to learn English.
Other English exercises on the same topics : Adjectives | Speaking | Frequent mistakes | All our lessons and exercises