|> Other English exercises on the same topics: Adjectives | Exclamative sentences! [Change theme]|
|> Similar tests: - Comparative of superiority - Order of adjectives - Adjective and preposition - Superlative + and adjective - Adjectives-ing and ed - Adjectives and adverbs - Exclamation - Superlative|
|> Double-click on words you don't understand|
How + adjectives ....
HOW is an adverb which has many possibilities. First, it can modify the meaning of several sorts of words. Today, we'll learn the different meanings it can have when it modifies an adjective, or an adverb.
How old ...?
1) To indicate a degree, a quantity, an age , some dimensions...
* deep => the depth => how deep?
* heavy => how heavy?
* high => the height -> how high?
* far => how far?
* fast => quick => how fast?
* many + countables => how many?
* much + uncountables => how much?
* old = aged => how old?
* often => how often?
* wide => the width => how wide?
2) It may also be used with all the adjectives : clear-sighted - important - lazy - good - hard - difficult - tiring - tired - ....
* 'How clear-sighted he is!... = 'He's so clear-sighted! '
* 'How lazy this boy is!...' = 'This boy is so lazy ...'
3) Used with an adjective or an adverb, HOW can introduce an exclamative form ('How tired you are!') or an interrogative form : 'How tired are you?' Of course, the order of the words (subject + verb or verb subject ) is then what will guide you!
English exercise "How + adjectives ...." created by here4u with The test builder
Click here to see the current stats of this English test
Please log in to save your progress.
End of the free exercise to learn English: How + adjectives ....
A free English exercise to learn English.
Other English exercises on the same topics : Adjectives | Exclamative sentences! | All our lessons and exercises