Click here to log in
4 million accounts created!
JOIN our free club and learn English now!
Get a free English lesson every week! 2 MILLION subscribers!
- Our other sites
Learn English > English lessons and exercises > English test #108545: Other - The others - Another
Other - The others - Another
1) OTHER: when it is an adjective, it is placed in front of a noun, and, of course, (like all other adjectives !)it is never in the plural.
ex: No thank you ! I don’t want this book; I’d like the other book, the red one!
ex: In no other place than here could you express such a shocking statement!
- When it is an adjective, other is placed before numbers:
ex: The first day after the operation was quite difficult, the other two were a little less painful.
2) THE OTHER: is preceded by the definite article : it's a pronoun which is treated like a noun. You must put an – s in the plural.
- in the singular :
ex: The One ... The other
ex: She has two kids: one is a dentist, the other is a surgeon.
- in the plural :
ex: Some ... (the) other/s
ex: During the party, some were talking, others were dancing.
3) ANOTHER: (=* AN+OTHER)=> always written in a single word (and ... never preceded by‘an’… …)
- is often followed by an uncountable in the singular.
‘another + the singular = '*an other' ...
ex: Would you like another piece of cake?
- Another is sometimes followed by a noun in the plural preceded by a number or by ‘few’.
ex: I’d like to stay another few weeks…
Choose the right answers in the exercise.
English exercise "Other - The others - Another" created by here4u with The test builder
Click here to see the current stats of this English test
Please log in to save your progress.
End of the free exercise to learn English: Other - The others - Another
A free English exercise to learn English.
Other English exercises on the same topics : Adjectives | Speaking | Pronouns | All our lessons and exercises