Click here to log in
4 million accounts created!
JOIN our free club and learn English now!
Get a free English lesson every week! 2 MILLION subscribers!
- Our other sites
Learn English > English lessons and exercises > English test #109728: Numbers and dates... (Level 1)
Numbers and dates... (Level 1)
Saying or reading numbers and dates is an exercise which frightens beginners.
It even frightens Intermediate students... because they have never really learnt the rules. learn them now, and you'll never be frightened to express them!
1) NUMBERS : HUNDRED, THOUSAND, MILLION preceded by numbers do not take the plural.
a) After HUNDRED + AND + tens + units: 'and' should be used between hundreds and tens, especially in British English.
* 943 = nine hundred and forty-three.
If there are THOUSANDS, but no hundreds, AND mustn't be forgotten.
* 3,052 =Three thousand and fifty-two.
'AND' can't be put between 'THOUSAND' and 'HUNDRED' :
* 5,671= five thousand, six hundred and seventy-one.
b) After ‘millions', ‘thousands',‘hundreds', there must be a comma when the text is written,and when it is spoken, intonation indicates a slight 'pause'...
* 42,325,896 = forty-two million, three hundred and twenty-five thousand, eight hundred and ninety-six.
c) There must be a dash between tens and units:
92 = ninety-two 93 = ninety-three
66 = sixty-six 48 = forty-eight
2) DATES: Reading and giving a date is certainly the first sentence a student learns after telling his name ... most of the times, he forgets it very quickly if it's not practised regularly:
* Thursday, April, 22nd 1999 or Tuesday 22nd June : must be read: (on) the 22nd (the twenty-second) of April nineteen ninety-nine.
* Wednesday, June 17th 2015 or Wednesday 17th June => Wednesday, the seventeenth of June two thousand and fifteen/ twenty (and) fifteen (is more frequently heard!)
BEWARE : 1600 = sixteen hundred
: 1605 = sixteen and five (or ‘sixteen-o-five')
: 2015 = Two thousand and fifteen. (British English) / Twenty fifteen. (American English)
3) Prepositions to be used:
- ON + day of the week: On Monday.
- ON + day and date : On Sunday, the tenth.
- IN + month: In March.
- IN + year: In fourteen ninety-two.
Well well! If you remember all this, you'll see a big smile on your teacher's face on D-day! ...
English exercise "Numbers and dates... (Level 1)" created by here4u with The test builder
Click here to see the current stats of this English test
Please log in to save your progress.
End of the free exercise to learn English: Numbers and dates... (Level 1)
A free English exercise to learn English.
Other English exercises on the same topics : Frequent mistakes | Dates, days, months, seasons | Numbers | All our lessons and exercises