Click here to log in
4 million accounts created!
JOIN our free club and learn English now!
Get a free English lesson every week! 2 MILLION subscribers!
- Our other sites
Learn English > English lessons and exercises > English test #110106: Exclamations: 3... completed
Exclamations: 3... completed
The EXCLAMATIVES.... completed!
1) HOW + ADJECTIVE ( + SUBJECT + VERB ) !
- WHAT + INDEFINITE ARTICLE + ADJECTIVE + NOUN ( + SUBJECT + VERB ) !
( in the plural, the indefinite article is 0)
- How splendid this sand castle is!
- What a splendid sand castle this one is!
2) SO + ADJECTIVE (+ SUBJECT + VERB) !
- IT ' S SUCH + INDEFINITE ARTICLE + ADJECTIVE + NOUN!
(In the plural, the indefinite article is 0 here too.)
- This car is so fast!
- It's such a fast car! => They're such fast cars!
3) Exclamative words often introduce subordinates expressing a consequence:
- This car is so fast that we can't overtake it!
- It's such a fast car that I hardly saw it when it passed us!
A sea lion Dancing dolphins Sea lions
4) In very formal written English, you may happen to meet SO/HOW used with a different word order: most of the time, at your level, you simply have to recognize what they are and correspond to:
- It is so big a book that he can hardly carry it ! = It's such a big book that he can hardly carry it.
- How difficult an exercise this one is! I can't do it! = What a difficult exercise this one is ... I can't do it!
Though looking quite 'unnatural' to most of you, this is the correct grammatical norm of this form and then, this word order has to be used, if required.
, in the following exercise, we are going to mix the different exclamative forms... You have to find them and put the convenient ones in the right places...
Killer Whales or ORCAS
English exercise "Exclamations: 3... completed" created by here4u with The test builder
Click here to see the current stats of this English test
Please log in to save your progress.
End of the free exercise to learn English: Exclamations: 3... completed
A free English exercise to learn English.
Other English exercises on the same topics : Speaking | Exclamative sentences! | All our lessons and exercises