Click here to log in
4 million accounts created!
JOIN our free club and learn English now!
Get a free English lesson every week! 2 MILLION subscribers!
- Our other sites
Learn English > English lessons and exercises > English test #110684: Yes/ No/ So do I/ Neither do I: Short answers.
Yes/ No/ So do I/ Neither do I: Short answers.
1) In spoken English, 'yes' et 'no' are very often accompanied by a short answer. How can we do that?
You simply have to add an auxiliary in the answer (the auxiliary used by the speaker, in the affirmative form or the negative one according to the form used in the preceding clause): be/have/had/will/would/ can/ could/ and other modal auxiliaries).
- "He's lazy !" "Yes, he is..."
- "Will you come?" "No, I won't!"
to have: Have may be either an auxilairy (and be repeated in the answer), or a simple verb (and need an auxiliary ("do/does/did") in the answer.
- "She's got a car (she has got a car: have = an auxiliary) and so have I".
but: - "You have three kids, and so does she".
Concerning the other verbs, if the main clause has no auxiliary, do/does/did must be used.
- "I think she wants to go out tonight." Oh yes, she does ( no, she doesn't!)
- "You stayed with her last May! Yes, I did! ( no, I didn't) "
2) So do I. = SO + Auxiliary + Subject. In affirmative sentences = The tag repeats the auxiliary used in the first part of the sentence.
- "I love chocolate ice cream, but I prefer vanilla!" "So do I".
- "He explained that he loved English and so did his brother."
3) Neither do I. = NEITHER/NOR + Auxiliary + Subject. In negative sentences: we must use the same auxiliary too.
It is also correct to use: Subject + auxiliary + NOT EITHER.
- I" won't take my bathing suit tomorrow! Neither will my sister. ( My sister won't either.)"
- "He can't explain this exercise to you and neither can I.( and I can't either.)"
Well well! Now, you can go for the test! Good luck!
English exercise "Yes/ No/ So do I/ Neither do I: Short answers." created by here4u with The test builder
Click here to see the current stats of this English test [Save] [Load] [?]
End of the free exercise to learn English: Yes/ No/ So do I/ Neither do I: Short answers.
A free English exercise to learn English.
Other English exercises on the same topics : Agreement/Disagreement:Both, so do I, neither do I | Speaking | Idioms | All our lessons and exercises