|> Other English exercises on the same topics: Speaking | Idioms | Politeness [Change theme]|
|> Similar tests: - Vocabulary: on the phone - On the phone - Interacting with someone - Dialogue : What time...? - Conditional clauses - Differences between Like and As - Eating out-Vocabulary - Describing a picture|
|> Double-click on words you don't understand|
Vocabulary: greeting people
In this lesson, we'll learn to greet, welcome and say "Hello!"... We do it very often, several times a day. For that occasion, we'll have to adapt the varied expressions to the different situations.
I) THE FORMAL EXPRESSIONS of GREETINGS:
- One of the strangest and a little surrealistic habits, was the "traditional" way of greeting people when meeting them for the first time in the United Kingdom. I've written the verb in the simple past, because now, this ritual seldom takes place, except for elder people and aristocrats.
A person says "HOW DO YOU DO." and the other one answers "HOW DO YOU DO"... as if they were talking at cross-purposes...
"You'll never get a second chance
to make a first impression..."
- Good morning!/ Morning!// Good afternoon!/ Good evening! (a formal and polite expression)
- "Pleased to meet you!"/ It's nice to meet you! (used for a first meeting)
- It's nice to see you again! (for the following ones!)
- How have you been?=> Well!/ I'm doing well!
II) INFORMAL GREETINGS:
- Hello!/ How's it going? How are you doing?/ How are you? (= polite)
- What's up?/ What's new?/ What's going on? / What's happening?
- How's everything? / How are things?/ (casual=> co-worker/ cashier )
- How's your day? / How's your day going?/
- Good to see you!/
- Long time, no see!/ It's been a while!
... and the answers are :
- Fine/ very well, thanks!/ Pretty good! Doing good!/ It's going well! / Very busy, lately!
or - I've been better!/ I'm hanging in there!/ Nothing!/ Not much!/
III) People say "Hello!" even in SLANG!
- "Hey!" / Hey, Man!/ Hi!/ (used by young people)
- Are you OK?/ You alright?/ Alright?/
- Yo!/ Hi ya?
The answers are:
- Not bad! / All kinds of stuff! / Yo, howdy! Alright!/
- Yeah, fine!/ Alright/ Nothing!/
Well! Now, the test! You'll simply have to match the expressions and the different situations.
English exercise "Vocabulary: greeting people" created by here4u with The test builder. [More lessons & exercises from here4u]
Click here to see the current stats of this English test
Please log in to save your progress.
End of the free exercise to learn English: Vocabulary: greeting people
A free English exercise to learn English.
Other English exercises on the same topics : Speaking | Idioms | Politeness | All our lessons and exercises