|> Other English exercises on the same topics: Articles | Frequent mistakes [Change theme]|
|> Similar tests: - A/an - Placement test beginners: Check your spelling - Past simple or present perfect - 'The' or nothing? - Countable nouns with a/an and some - Although / in spite of / despite - Article The and geography - Differences between Like and As|
|> Double-click on words you don't understand|
The / no article
Use the definite article, the:
(1) with singular or plural nouns, when you expect the person who is listening to know which person or thing you are talking about.Examples:
>> Thank you for the flowers (= the ones that you brought me).
>> This is the CD I told you about.
(2) with the names of oceans, rivers, mountains or when there is only one kind of something.Examples:
>> The sun is hot today.
>> He was the first person to row across the Atlantic.
(3) when talking about playing musical instruments.Example:
>> I've been learning the piano for four years.
Use no article:
(1) with countable or uncountable nouns, when you are talking in general.Examples:
>> Honey is sweet. (all honey)
>> Were you a cheerleader in high school? (any high school)
(2) with names of countries, states, streets, towns or lakes.Examples:
>> I'm going to Turkey.
>> Toronto is on Lake Ontario.
(3) with a person's title when the name is mentioned.Examples:
>> Queen Elizabeth
>> Doctor Jones
You're good to go!
Complete the sentences with the or nothing: X
English exercise "The / no article" created by anuesther with The test builder. [More lessons & exercises from anuesther]
Click here to see the current stats of this English test
Please log in to save your progress.
End of the free exercise to learn English: The / no article
A free English exercise to learn English.
Other English exercises on the same topics : Articles | Frequent mistakes | All our lessons and exercises