Click here to log in
4 million accounts created!
JOIN our free club and learn English now!
Get a free English lesson every week! 2 MILLION subscribers!
- Our other sites
Learn English > English lessons and exercises > English test #117312: The / no article
The / no article
Use the definite article, the:
(1) with singular or plural nouns, when you expect the person who is listening to know which person or thing you are talking about.Examples:
>> Thank you for the flowers (= the ones that you brought me).
>> This is the CD I told you about.
(2) with the names of oceans, rivers, mountains or when there is only one kind of something.Examples:
>> The sun is hot today.
>> He was the first person to row across the Atlantic.
(3) when talking about playing musical instruments.Example:
>> I've been learning the piano for four years.
Use no article:
(1) with countable or uncountable nouns, when you are talking in general.Examples:
>> Honey is sweet. (all honey)
>> Were you a cheerleader in high school? (any high school)
(2) with names of countries, states, streets, towns or lakes.Examples:
>> I'm going to Turkey.
>> Toronto is on Lake Ontario.
(3) with a person's title when the name is mentioned.Examples:
>> Queen Elizabeth
>> Doctor Jones
You're good to go!
Complete the sentences with the or nothing: X
Beginners Twitter Share
English exercise "The / no article" created by anuesther with The test builder
Click here to see the current stats of this English test
Please log in to save your progress.
End of the free exercise to learn English: The / no article
A free English exercise to learn English.
Other English exercises on the same topics : Articles | Frequent mistakes | All our lessons and exercises