Click here to log in
4 million accounts created!
JOIN our free club and learn English now!
Get a free English lesson every week! 2 MILLION subscribers!
- Our other sites
Learn English > English lessons and exercises > English test #117565: Present Simple
The simple present tense is one of the several forms of verbs in English; this lesson will explain its uses.
The simple present tense is used:
-> to talk about habits.
(1) He DRINKS tea at breakfast.
(2) She only EATS fish.
(3) They WATCH television regularly.
-> to talk about repeated actions or events.
(1) We CATCH the bus every morning.
(2) They DRIVE to Monaco every summer.
-> to express general truths or facts.
(1) Water BOILS at one hundred degrees.
(2) My mother IS Spanish.
-> to talk about fixed arrangements.
(1) The library OPENS at eight.
(2) Our holiday STARTS on the 26th of April.
-> to give instructions or directions.
(1) OPEN the packet and POUR the contents into warm water.
(2) You TAKE the No.7 bus to Watney and then the No.10 to Bedford.
NOTE: All the verbs take "singular forms" when conjugated in the third person singular (he, she, it) form.
(a) John/He WATCHES TV regularly.
(b) Mary/She WORKS hard.
(c) The Earth/It REVOLVES round the Sun.
Exception: The verb "to have" changes its forms as follows. I HAVE two sisters and two brothers. But she HAS one sister and two brothers.
Surely, there is a little test for you to do. Write the verbs in brackets in present simple .
Beginners Twitter Share
English exercise "Present Simple" created by anuesther with The test builder
Click here to see the current stats of this English test
Please log in to save your progress.
End of the free exercise to learn English: Present Simple
A free English exercise to learn English.
Other English exercises on the same topic : Present | All our lessons and exercises