|> Other English exercises on the same topics: Idioms | Opinions [Change theme]|
|> Similar tests: - Give your opinion - Agreement Tags - Wishes - Feelings - Vocabulary: Truth and falsehood - Vocabulary: listening and discussing - I like / I would like to - How to make wishes...|
|> Double-click on words you don't understand|
Vocabulary: certainty or uncertainty...
When I mention "CERTAINTY" and "UNCERTAINTY", you'll certainly imagine that we're going to deal with modal auxiliaries again, and more particularly "MUST" or "MAY"/"MIGHT". Yet, this aspect has already been studied in several lessons test, test, and test. Here, we'll deal with VOCABULARY, and with usual expressions used in precise circumstances.
1. CERTAINTY: in order to express certitude, not having doubts, being convinced, many words and expressions are here to help you.
To be certain/ about something/ that
To be positive about something
|A conviction/ a firm belief||I'm convinced of it|
There are many verbs with a tricky construction...
|To guarantee/ something/ that|
To make certain of sth/ that
To make sure of sth/ that
|To make certain/ sure of sth/ that||To be convinced of/ that|
|To be assured of/ that||To be convinced of|
|To take sth for granted||To swear that (swore, sworn)|
2. UNCERTAINTY: the same thing is true concerning incertitude, scepticism... and doubt in general!
|Uncertain/ doubtful||Uncertain/ unsure about|
|Sceptical/ skeptical (US)||A sceptic=> scepticism|
|Cynical/ a cynic/ cynicism||No doubt he will arrive...|
To have doubts about
To have misgivings about
To doubt if
To doubt whether
|To be dubious about|
= To be doubtful about
= To be in doubt about
To cast doubt on sth
To question sb
|To express one's doubts about|
|To doubt somebody||To suspect stg/ sb of|
|To query somebody's motives||To express reservations about|
3. USEFUL EXPRESSIONS:
- It goes without saying (that)...
- You can bet your life that... (informal)= You can bet your bottom dollar that... (US)
- It's undeniable that...
- I could swear that...// I could have sworn that...
- I would stake my life on it...
- He is certain/ sure to refuse...
- It was bound to happen...
- I couldn't believe my eyes/ my ears!...
- I have my doubts about it!
- There is some doubt about what actually happened!
- I cannot say for certain/ for sure...
- There's room for doubt...
- Nobody doubts that.../ There can be no doubt that...
- No doubt he will arrive...
1. 2. 3.
1. It was bound to happen= certain to happen, inevitable.
2. I'd stake my life on it...= to risk my life on...
3. We shouldn't take that for granted...= to treat with careless indifference.
A great number of expressions, extensive vocabulary... , which you don't have to remember all! Now, the test! It's quite easy! Go for it!
English exercise "Vocabulary: certainty or uncertainty..." created by here4u with The test builder. [More lessons & exercises from here4u]
Click here to see the current stats of this English test
Please log in to save your progress.
End of the free exercise to learn English: Vocabulary: certainty or uncertainty...
A free English exercise to learn English.
Other English exercises on the same topics : Idioms | Opinions | All our lessons and exercises