|> Other English exercises on the same topics: Idioms | What time is it? [Change theme]|
|> Similar tests: - Vocabulary : Time and hour - Vocabulary: time that flies - Hours : timing - Time measurement - What time is it? - Notions of time and duration - What time is it? - What time is it?|
|> Double-click on words you don't understand|
Vocabulary: expressing time
We have already worked a lot on "TIME": the one we have ( or not), the one we save or waste, the one we make up for, but I think the need for more training is still important!
Therefore, here are the main expressions enabling you to speak (and understand) when conversations are dealing with it!
|To have time to do something|
|To have plenty of time to|
|To save time|
|To play for time|
|To lose/ waste time (To lose, I lost, lost)|
|To make up for lost time|
|It takes ages!|
|It's about time!|
- I haven't got time to do it!
- To pass the time/ to while the time away
- To spend one's time doing sth
- To take a long time to do sth
- It's high time he left!
- Time flies!
- There isn't much time left!
- As time goes by (in the present)/ as time went by (in the past)
|At the same time|
|At the same moment|
|At that moment|
|As soon as|
- as soon as I saw him/ the moment I saw him
|Just a minute!|
|Just a second!|
At once: right away: straight away: forthwith (formal)
BEWARE! momentarily= for a moment, briefly. (British English)
|Punctual/ punctually/ punctuality|
|Early/ earlier/ earlier than|
|Late/ later (on)/ later than|
|Not later than|
|Sooner or later|
|For the time being|
- to be early/ to arrive early for
- to be late/ to arrive late for
|The day when|
|Never/ not ever|
|At no time|
- BE: I have already told you/ AE: I already told you/ AE: I told you already
- Here you are at last!
- Is he still here?
- Has he arrived yet?
- I haven't seen him yet.
- I have never seen her/ I haven't ever seen her.
- Did he ever understand ...? Didn't he ever understand...?
Quite a lot of expressions, of course, but you don't have to remember them all.
I'm sure you won't find the test difficult!
English exercise "Vocabulary: expressing time" created by here4u with The test builder. [More lessons & exercises from here4u]
Click here to see the current stats of this English test
Please log in to save your progress.
End of the free exercise to learn English: Vocabulary: expressing time
A free English exercise to learn English.
Other English exercises on the same topics : Idioms | What time is it? | All our lessons and exercises