|> Other English exercises on the same topics: Making portraits, describing | Buying in a shop | Find the word [Change theme]|
|> Similar tests: - Describing a face - Describing a picture - Vocabulary: let's go to the shops - Adjectives: where to place them? - Vocabulary: sight - Vocabulary: going shopping - Vocabulary: room, place or space - Vocabulary: idioms: emotions 1|
|> Double-click on words you don't understand|
It may be pleasant to be bare-footed and walk on warm sand, for instance.
Many civilizations do not protect their feet: others feel the need to wear
protections on their feet: shoes, of all sorts!
1. ALL ABOUT SHOES:
|a shoe/ a pair of shoes|
|to wear high heels|
|a shoelace/ a shoestring|
to lace up one's shoes / to do one's shoes up
- To put one's shoes on ///// to take one's shoes off
|pumps/ court shoes|
the shoe repairer/ the cobbler/ the shoe mender
|shoe polish/ shoe cream|
|to polish one's shoes|
- To have one's shoes mended/ to have one's shoes repaired
- To have a pair of shoes resoled
- Can I try these sneakers on, please?
2. DO YOU KNOW WHAT SIZE YOU ARE?
Be careful when "converting" sizes in Anglo-Saxon countries!
: a European size will correspond to different Anglo-Saxon sizes for men and women...
|UNITED KINGDOM, men||3||3.5||4||4.5||5||5.5||6||6.5||7||7.5||8||8.5||10||11|
|UNITED KINGDOM, women||2.5||3||3.5||4||4.5||5||5.5||6||6.5||7||7.5||8||9.5||10.5|
|USA and CANADA, men||3.5||4||4.5||5||5.5||6||6.5||7||7.5||8||8.5||9||10.5||11.5|
|USA and CANADA, women||5||5.5||6||6.5||7||7.5||8||8.5||9||9.5||10||10.5||12||13|
3. EXPRESSIONS and IDIOMS:
- To be as comfortable/ common/ tough/ as an old shoe: Very familiar or comfortable
- It's another pair of shoes: Entirely different
- To be in someone's shoes: to share a particular experience or circumstance with someone
To be in someone's shoes...
- Another pair of shoes to fill: very high standards
- Daddy/ Mammy/ the baby/ needs new shoes: hoping to get good luck in a game of chance:
- Don't judge someone until you have walked (a mile) in their shoes...understand another person's
- Dead men's shoes: to await one's inheritance
- ... where the shoe pinches... Where trouble or stress originates
- If the shoe fits, wear it: acknowledge or accept responsibility or blame
- To shake/ quake in one's shoes: to be very nervous or afraid
- If the shoe were on the other foot...: If the roles were reversed
- A shoestring budget: a budget that is very meager or just enough to suit its purpose.
I hope you're comfortable in your shoes, and will be even better after the coming test!
English exercise "Vocabulaire: shoes" created by here4u with The test builder. [More lessons & exercises from here4u]
Click here to see the current stats of this English test
Please log in to save your progress.
End of the free exercise to learn English: Vocabulaire: shoes
A free English exercise to learn English.
Other English exercises on the same topics : Making portraits, describing | Buying in a shop | Find the word | All our lessons and exercises