|> Other English exercises on the same topics: Idioms | Quantities [Change theme]|
|> Similar tests: - Placement test 1 - Countable or Uncountable? - Some / Any / Much / Many - Some and any - Adverbs of degree - Quantifiers: some, any, no - Countables and uncountables - Few/Little/Less|
|> Double-click on words you don't understand|
Vocabulary: big quantities
This lesson is the first one of a series enabling us to review QUANTITIES.
We'll learn to express or revise how to estimate quantities, whether they are big ones, little
ones, or of medium size.
|A quantity/ an amount|
A reasonable/ moderate/ modest quantity of/ A reasonable/ moderate/ modest amount of
As there are many different expressions and as precise examples will be necessary, I have
chosen to deal with this huge part of grammar in several lessons.
A lot/ A great deal/ Very much
|A lot of/ much + uncountable noun|
|A lot of/ many + countable noun|
|Quite a lot of/ a fair amount of + uncountable|
|A good many/ / quite a lot of|
|The majority of/ most + countable noun|
|To be the majority|
|much of + uncountable noun|
- He reads a lot/ he reads a great deal
- He doesn't read (very) much/a lot/ a great deal
- There is a lot of milk left
- There isn't a lot of/ much milk left
- A lot of them/ many of them believed it
- There were lots of people
- I know a great many people/ a lot of people who...
- He has quite a lot of/ a fair amount of money
- She bought quite a lot of/ a good many books
- Most/ The majority of candidates
- most people ( a large proportion of people)
- much of the book (a big part of the book)
Here are already many expressions to remember! Be careful, these expressions are quite alike.
The smallest variation may give a very different meaning to your words! Go for it!
English exercise "Vocabulary: big quantities" created by here4u with The test builder. [More lessons & exercises from here4u]
Click here to see the current stats of this English test
Please log in to save your progress.
End of the free exercise to learn English: Vocabulary: big quantities
A free English exercise to learn English.
Other English exercises on the same topics : Idioms | Quantities | All our lessons and exercises