|> Other English exercises on the same topics: Articles | Dates, days, months, seasons [Change theme]|
|> Similar tests: - A/an - 'The' or nothing? - Countable nouns with a/an and some - Article The and geography - Article A or AN - English date:How to write the small letters after the number - Article 'the' / nothing - Article and use of A/An|
|> Double-click on words you don't understand|
Articles and Time 2
We use the and a/an in the usual way when we talk about the morning/
afternoon/evening of a particular day:
- I woke up with a sore throat,and by the evening my voice had disappeared.
- we're going in the afternoon.
- you look upset.'yes,I've had a terrible morning.
However,we use zero article with at night and by night. compare:
- she kept us awake all through the night.
- I don't like driving at night.
We use zero article with midnight,midday, and noon:
- if possible,I'd like it finished by midday.
We usually use zero article when we talk about meals:
- what have we got for dinner?
- I don't like drinking coffee at breakfast.
We wouldn't say,for example,'I had a/the breakfast before I went home'
however,if we want to describe a particular meal,then we can use an article:
- we didn't get up until 10 o'clock and had a late breakfast.
- the dinner we had at Webster's restaurant was marvellous.
When we talk about a formal dinner or lunch for a special occasion,we use 'a dinner' or 'a lunch':
- we're having a dinner to welcome the new manager.
*study these extracts from a newspapers and decide which of them need an article (the or a/an).
English exercise "Articles and Time 2" created by anonyme with The test builder.
Click here to see the current stats of this English test
Please log in to save your progress.
End of the free exercise to learn English: Articles and Time 2
A free English exercise to learn English.
Other English exercises on the same topics : Articles | Dates, days, months, seasons | All our lessons and exercises