|> Other English exercises on the same topic: Celebrations: Thanksgiving, new year... [Change theme]|
|> Similar tests: - Christmas party -Vocabulary - Saint Valentine's Day - Merry Christmas! - New Year in the USA - Wishing a happy birthday - Carnival-Vocabulary - Halloween - Halloween|
|> Double-click on words you don't understand|
THE LEGEND OF ST-PATRICK:
1) Maewyn was a young Christian who lived in Scotland. When he was sixteen, he was captured by Irish pirates. The pirates sold him as a slave.
2) The Irish were not Christians. After six years working for an Irish master, Maewyn was able to run away and leave Ireland. He vowed he would come back to Ireland some day and teach the Christian religion to the Irish people.
3) Maewyn became a priest in the Christian church. Later he became a bishop. In the year 431, the Pope gave him the name Patricius (Patrick). The Pope sent him to Ireland. 'Take Christianity to Ireland', said the Pope.
4) Patrick went into each town in Ireland. A man walked in front of him, beating on drums. The drums announced that Patrick was coming into the town.
5) Patrick was very brave. He faced many dangers. The Irish threw stones at him. They put him into prison. But he got out.And he never gave up.
6) He taught people about Jesus Christ. The people became Christians. He baptized them. He started schools and churches.
7) An important idea of Christianity is that there are parts of God in one : the father, the son, and the Holy Spirit.The Irish people could not understand how three could be the same as one. So Patrick used the shamrock to help them understand. With the three leaves of the shamrock, he showed how the three parts made up the whole.
8) Patrick worked in Ireland for 40 years. He died on March 17th, 493. Many years later, the church made him a Saint.
English exercise "St Patrick" created by anonyme with The test builder.
Click here to see the current stats of this English test
Please log in to save your progress.
End of the free exercise to learn English: St Patrick
A free English exercise to learn English.
Other English exercises on the same topic : Celebrations: Thanksgiving, new year... | All our lessons and exercises