Click here to log in
4 million accounts created!
JOIN our free club and learn English now!
Get a free English lesson every week! 2 MILLION subscribers!
- Our other sites
Learn English > English lessons and exercises > English test #42493: Adjectives order
Sometimes we use two or more adjectives together :
- My parents live in a nice new house
- A dirty old black cat is wandering the streets
A / 'OPINION' ADJECTIVES
Adjectives like nice and dirty are opinion adjectives.They tell us what you think about somebody or something.
Opinion adjectives usually go before fact adjectives
B / 'FACT' ADJECTIVES
Adjectives like new, old, black are fact adjectives. They give us factual information about, age and colour.
Sometimes we use two or more fact adjectives. Very often, we put fact adjectives in this order :
1 / SIZE : How big ? Large, small, tiny, enormous
2 / AGE : How old ? New, young, old, ancient
3 / SHAPE : What shape ? Square, round, rectangular, flat
4 / COLOUR : What colour ? Blue, pink, yellow, crimson
5 / ORIGIN : Where from ? English, American, Chinese,French
6 / MATERIAL: What it is made of ? Plastic, cardboard, glass, wooden
7 / PURPOSE : What it is used for ? Racing car, frying pan, rocking chair
- An interesting (opinion ) old (2) book
- An ugly (opinion) pink (4 ) plastic (6) ornament
- A nice (opinion) small (1) African (5) drum
- A delicious (opinion) round (3) chocolate (6) cake
- A pair of smart( opinion) brown (4) leather (6) boots
- A beautiful (opinion) small (1) white (4) Chinese (5 ) computer
- A nice (opinion) big (1) old (2) square (3) white (4) French (5) china (6) plate *
* This last example comes from the BBC site, but we do not usually put more than three adjectives together !
When there are two colour adjectives, we use and :
- A big green and yellow hat
English exercise "Adjectives order" created by anonyme with The test builder
Click here to see the current stats of this English test [Save] [Load] [?]
End of the free exercise to learn English: Adjectives order
A free English exercise to learn English.
Other English exercises on the same topic : Adjectives | All our lessons and exercises