|> Other English exercises on the same topic: Countries and nationalities [Change theme]|
|> Similar tests: - Geography-Vocabulary - Nationalities - Population growth - Countries - Atacama Desert, Chile - Global warming in the Arctic - Himalayas, India: valley of flowers - Iceland|
|> Double-click on words you don't understand|
Desert : Sahara
'The Great Desert' (The Sahara)
The desert or The Sahara also known as 'The Great Desert' is home to number of people. It covers huge parts of many African countries. The Sahara landform and climate is shaped by winds and occasional rains,very hot during the day and very cold at night. The Sahara includes:
- Sand dunes:Dunes
- Sand seas: Un Erg
- Stone plateaus:Plateaux en pierre
- Gravel plains:Plaines de gravier
- Dry valleys:Vallées sèches
- Oasis: L'Oasis
There are many African countries that are either fully or partially covered by the Sahara:
- Algeria: L'Algérie -Morocco: Le Maroc
- Libya: Libye - Mauritania:La Mauritanie
- Egypt:L'Egypte - Mali:Le Mali
- Niger: Le Niger - Sudan: Le Soudan
- Tunisia:La Tunisie - Western Sahara:Le Sahara Occidental
- Chad: Le Tchad
The Sahara contains over than one hundred different people groups. Among these groups 'The Tuareg people' are also referred to us as 'Blue Men of the desert' because their robes are dyed indigo blue. They live in tribes and are famous for their fighting abilities and art work.
- The Tuareg people:Le peuple(Les gens) Tuareg
- The Blue Man of the desert:L'homme Bleu du désert
The Sahara climate is very harsh and animals that live there had to adapt themselves to it. Most of the animals spend the whole day underground and out of the hot sun. Other animals only come out at night to eat and hunt. Some other animals never drink, but get their water from seeds.
- The Camel: Le Chameau -The striped hyena:L'hyène rayée
- The Jackal:Le Chacal - The Desert snake:Le serpent du Désert
- the African hedgehog:Le hérisson africain - The gazelle:La gazelle
- The Fennec Fox:Le Renard Fennec - The Sand Cat: Le Chat du Désert
- The Jerboa:La Gerboise - The Gerbil:La Gerbille
Choose either 'True' or 'False'.
English exercise "Desert : Sahara" created by matrixhamdi with The test builder
Click here to see the current stats of this English test
Please log in to save your progress.
End of the free exercise to learn English: Desert : Sahara
A free English exercise to learn English.
Other English exercises on the same topic : Countries and nationalities | All our lessons and exercises