Click here to log in
4 million accounts created!
JOIN our free club and learn English now!
Get a free English lesson every week! 2 MILLION subscribers!
- Our other sites
Learn English > English lessons and exercises > English test #95539: Past Perfect Simple or V-ing
Past Perfect Simple or V-ing
Past Perfect simple
- for actions that happened before a past event :
The performance had already started by the time we arrived.
- to refer to activities that were completed before a point of time :
By 2010, Tom had lived in that village for six years.
- to express an action taking place before a certain time in the past :
( to put emphasis only on the fact, not the duration )
By the time I arrive at your house, I had already visited your grandparents.
- when explaining or giving a reason for something in the past :
I had eaten three sandwiches so I wasn't hungry.
- conditional sentences, TYPE III :
If I had known you were in need, I would have helped you.
- when expressing dissatisfaction with the Past :
( ' I wish ' , ' If only ' )
I wish I had eaten more soup. I am hungry now.
If only I had taken more soup. I am hungry now.
- when formulating the passive voice we use - had + been + past participle :
The cake had been made.
Past Perfect V-ing
- this is like the Past Perfect but it expresses a longer activity in the past before another activity in the past :
I was absolutely exhausted. I had been mending the roof.
- to show something that had been happening before something else :
I had been playing football for 2 hours when my friend arrived.
- to express something that had been happening over a period of time in the past until another point :
He fainted because he had been riding a bike for five hours.
- to express something that had been happening in preparation for something else :
I had been studying for five days and I was ready for the exam.
- we use this tense in conditional Type III to show imagined conditions :
If I hadn't missed the bus, I wouldn't have been late for the exam.
- to refer to an activity that was in process :
By the time they got to the pub, we had already been waiting for 2 hours.
English exercise "Past Perfect Simple or V-ing" created by greg100 with The test builder
Click here to see the current stats of this English test
Please log in to save your progress.
End of the free exercise to learn English: Past Perfect Simple or V-ing
A free English exercise to learn English.
Other English exercises on the same topic : Plu-perfect | All our lessons and exercises