|> Other English exercises on the same topics: Idioms | Newspaper [Change theme]|
|> Similar tests: - Population growth - Global warming in the Arctic - Martin Luther King, Jr remembered - Tracy Chevalier and a painting by Vermeer - Lighthouse La Jument - Daily press - About the weather - Reading comprehension: islands for sale|
|> Double-click on words you don't understand|
Expressions and newspapers
* To hit the headlines : to be featured in the news suddenly.
* A general outcry : people show their disapproval .
* To be in a right/fine/great mess : to be in an embarrassing situation
* To live from hand to mouth : to have just enough money to live and nothing else.
* To do a walkabout : to walk shaking hands in the crowd.
* To snowball :when a rumour grows like a snowball rolling down a hill.
* (Just) the tip of the iceberg : the problem or difficulty is only a small part of a bigger problem.
* To stick to your guns : to refuse to change what you are saying or doing, to remain loyal.
* To hold all the aces : to have all the advantages to win, to succeed in doing something.
* To step into the breach : to do someone else's work when they are unable to do it.
* To blow something up out of all proportion : to exaggerate a problem or issue.
* to blow hot and cold : to change your mind frequently about whether you like something or someone.
* To throw in the towel : to give up, to stop the fight.
* To grind to a halt : to be stopped.
* pie in the sky : unrealistic promises or expectations.
* It's a free-for-all : a noisy fight, a brawl.
* To add fuel to the fire : to make a bad situation worse by your actions.
English exercise "Expressions and newspapers" created by eos17 with The test builder. [More lessons & exercises from eos17]
Click here to see the current stats of this English test
Please log in to save your progress.
End of the free exercise to learn English: Expressions and newspapers
A free English exercise to learn English.
Other English exercises on the same topics : Idioms | Newspaper | All our lessons and exercises