Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

Combine/sentences

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Combine/sentences
    Message from mohammad51 posted on 20-04-2020 at 13:12:01 (D | E | F)
    Hello
    Could any one help, please ?
    Many thanks in advance

Combine each pair of sentences into one new sentence:
    Four questions I answered correctly except this one :
    You can help your community by volunteering your time. If you are too busy, you can donate money.
    many solutions I tried got wrong.
    You can help your community either by volunteering your time or you can donate money if you are too busy.
    You can help your community either by volunteering your time or by donating money if you are too busy.
    You can help your community either by volunteering your time or you can help by donating money if you are too busy.
    Even to use punctuation putting commas before and after the phrase of ( or ) it does not go right.

I noticed some people used ( Not only .... but also ) also it does not go right whether to use the inversion mode.
    I am not satisfied to use ( Not only ...but also )
    I see it is wrong here, because the man was between two choices.
    Link

Re: Combine/sentences from gerondif, posted on 20-04-2020 at 16:21:08 (D | E)
    Hello
    You can help your community by volunteering your time unless you are too busy, in which case you can donate money.
    You can help your community by volunteering your time but should you be too busy, you can also donate money.

Re: Combine/sentences from mohammad51, posted on 20-04-2020 at 17:00:18 (D | E)
    Hello
    Dear teacher gerondif, said use the words in box:
    either .... or
    neither ....nor
    not only .....but also
    best wishes
    Now I try again
    Four questions I solved

Also I suggested this but does not go right :

Unless you are too busy you can help your community either by volunteering or you can donate money.

Re: Combine/sentences from gerondif, posted on 20-04-2020 at 17:05:39 (D | E)
    You can help your community by volunteering your time. If you are too busy, you can donate money.
    either .... or
    neither ....nor
    not only .....but also

You can either help your community by volunteering your time, or,if you are too busy,donate money.
    Not only can you help your community by volunteering your time but you can also donate money if you are too busy.

Re: Combine/sentences from mohammad51, posted on 20-04-2020 at 17:31:11 (D | E)
    Hello
    I see both are not working
    I tried.

Re: Combine/sentences from mohammad51, posted on 20-04-2020 at 22:19:05 (D | E)
    Hello
    Thank you very much dear teacher gerondif, that you are always ready to help me.

Here is the answer I tried and got correct
    As much as I deal with exercises, the question itself is incorrect or not well patterned.
    For something is linguistically correct the author must not add a parenthetical clause to say:
    ( If you are too busy ) ?
    Simply if the man is too much busy he can't volunteer by his own time and instead can donate money.
    For this reason, I suggested introducing the sentence ( answer) by unless, so that to avoid the ambiguity.

Here is the sentence which goes right and has been accepted:

you can help your community by either volunteer your time or donating money

no punctuation , no capital letter and using ( by ) before ( either )
    It should be (( either by ))

All your sentences you lastly offered are correct.
    Thank you very much
    best wishes

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only