Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

Passive/ noun clause

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Passive/ noun clause
    Message from mohammad51 posted on 12-09-2021 at 15:07:53 (D | E | F)
    Hello
    Please tell me whether my solution is correct or incorrect?
    Thank you in advance
    ---
    An exercise wants us change the direction of a noun clause ( object ) into a noun clause ( subject ) in the passive form.'

It will not affect my decision whether or not my parents want me to get married.

My answer :
    Whether or not my parents want me to get married, will not be affected by my decision.

Do I use : will be affected ( in ) OR ( by ) my decision OR both are right?
    Is my solution correct ?
    Thank you very much to guide me.

Re: Passive/ noun clause from gerondif, posted on 12-09-2021 at 15:14:06 (D | E)
    Hello
    An exercise wants us TO change...

No, you should say :
    Whether or not my parents want me to get married will not affect my decision.
    My decision won't be affected by whether or not my parents want me to get married.

Re: Passive/ noun clause from mohammad51, posted on 12-09-2021 at 16:14:33 (D | E)
    Hello
    Thank you dear teacher gerondif

Please excuse me, I didn't get you !

So, your sentence is it passive or how it can be considered a passive ?

Whether or not my parents want me to get married will not affect my decision.

--------
    The exercise :
    Examples & Exercises: Change these noun clause objects to noun clause subjects in the passive sentence.

I. I suppose what you do for a living. = What you do for a living is supported by me.
    2. John doesn't know when his parents will move to another state. = When his parents will move to another state is not known by John

The book is here ( Google books)
    Link

Re: Passive/ noun clause from gerondif, posted on 12-09-2021 at 16:55:29 (D | E)
    Hello
    That's the only solution I could find using whether my parents want me to marry or not as a subject clause.
    I could transform it into :
    Whether my parents want me to marry or not will not be taken into account in my decision.
    Whether my parents want me to marry or not will not be deemed essential in my decision.
    Whether my parents want me to marry or not will not be considered as essential in my decision to marry.

Your examples :
    I. I suppose what you do for a living is interesting . = What you do for a living is supposed to be interesting by me.
    I imagine what you do for a living : What you do for a living is imagined by me.
    2. John doesn't know when his parents will move to another state. = When his parents will move to another state is not known by John.
    These passive voices would never be heard in normal English. It is ludicrous to ask students to perform such transformations for the sake of it. It only makes a sentence unnatural and heavy.

If I keep your words in your first example in your first message, I can't do the exercise.

I couldn't find the relevant passage, the link is too long to read.

Re: Passive/ noun clause from mohammad51, posted on 12-09-2021 at 18:15:53 (D | E)
    Hello
    Thank you very much dear teacher gerondif as so much you're patient with me.
    I agree with you. You described this form of passive " ludicrous "
    But, indeed it is an exercise I picked from the book.
    (( Essential English Grammar: A Complete Study of Clauses & Important Sentence ...By Van T. Le))
    Here, I converted a photo to a text using OCR online

• Noun Clause Subject Of Passive Verb
    • In the previous two exercises, a noun clause object replaced the impersonal it is as subject of the main verb.
    Now we see that, similar to any sentence where the main verb is transitive, the noun clause object of an active verb can become the noun clause subject of a passive verb.
    • Remember that the noun clause subject is always singular. so the main verb in the passive voice must be singular.
    Examples & Exercises: Change these noun clause objects to noun clause subjects in the passive sentence.
    1. I support what you do for a living. = What you do for a living is supported by me
    What you do for living = NCS( noun clause) >> ( is supported ) = M.V ( main verb)

2. John doesn't know when his parents will move to another state. = When his parents will move to another state is not known by John.
    ----------------
    OK, perhaps I mixed and brought to here a sentence from another exercise in the same book ( No passive is required)
    I am sorry
    I agree with you ( Not all sentences can be changed into passive)
    Thank you very much
    The sentences you brought are useful enough and great.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only