Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

I or me/ discussion

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

I or me/ discussion
    Message from mohammad51 posted on 12-11-2017 at 12:21:38 (D | E | F)
    Hello,
    Could you help me please?
    Thanks for any reply.

Here are examples needing discussion
    1- Please allow Jenna or me to assist you. why me and not I? Jenna and I will assist you = subject that offers the assistance.
    I know that (you) who allow them is the real subject.
    Please examine this or compare ( sentence 1 with 2)
    2- That was Yusuf and I whom you saw. whom you saw refers to the object = ( Yusuf and I), so why not me? and why not that were?
    I read to some grammarians consider ( that at the beginning) = subject and as they illustrated the pronoun( I) acts instead of That.
    3- It was I who called. here no doubt I = the subject ( who called) but why not that was or that is?

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 12-11-2017 14:26

Re: I or me/ discussion from mah, posted on 12-11-2017 at 13:09:54 (D | E)
    Hello everybody!
    Do we say: let us or let we!? Surely let us is correct, so allow me here is correct.
    Regards

Re: I or me/ discussion from mohammad51, posted on 12-11-2017 at 14:35:40 (D | E)
    Thank you mah to be friendly and shared on my question, but please read on all content. My aim is not beyond a transient discussion or mere funny thing. I tried to analyze all words, all ideas, all what is related to grammar and linguistics as well. please be kind and don't hurry .....I know. indeed I know but I want to compare why this is acceptable and why that is not.... best regards to all members here.
    I know let's and not let we. I just bring this to compare with the sentence also I mentioned:
    That was Yusuf and I whom you saw. Why I here is preferable than me since ( Yusuf and I ) are considered object by whom you saw

Re: I or me/ discussion from zilazila, posted on 12-11-2017 at 15:14:29 (D | E)
    Hello
    "I" is the subject pronoun, used for the one "doing" the verb.
    Ex: I saw you yeasterday.
    " Me" is the object pronoun, used as the object of the action of the verb.
    Ex: She asked me to answer her question.

Re: I or me/ discussion from gerondif, posted on 12-11-2017 at 15:15:57 (D | E)
    Hello
    1- Please allow Jenna or me to assist you. why me and not I? Jenna and I will assist you = subject that offers the assistance.
    I know that (you) who allow them is the real subject.
    Well, allow is followed by an object case: He will allow me/you/him/her/us/you/them to come.
    Can you allow Jenna or me to assist you ?
    Let me help you!
    I would be impossible, it is a subject case.
    When you say: Jenny and I will assist you, we will assist you, I and we are subject cases.

2- That was Yusuf and I whom you saw. whom you saw refers to the object = ( Yusuf and I), so why not me? and why not that were?
    It is a rather old-fashioned way of speaking, I think today's English would be: It was Yusuf and I that you saw.
    If we respect grammar and a high level of English, you don't put an object case after to be.
    I saw him first = "It was I who saw him first" but we often hear : "It was me who saw him first", a very common mistake which now goes unnoticed. (In Manchester in the 1970's I used to hear "It was me did it" instead of "I did it", stressing the I.)
    whom is in the object case because saw is a normal verb folllowed by an object case: You really saw Yusuf and me.

3- It was I who called. here no doubt I = the subject ( who called) but why not that was or that is?
    It is I who works the most. Present tense
    It was I who saw the accident first; Preterite
    It will be I who will be driving you to the hospital tomorrow ! Future tense.
    You use the same tense in both sentences.
    Today's children would probably say it is me, it was me, it will be me....

Re: I or me/ discussion from mohammad51, posted on 12-11-2017 at 20:32:17 (D | E)
    Hi
    gerondif,
    you answer is correct and good
    thank you much
    I know the sentence ( that was Yusuf and I whom you saw yesterday) as the most of grammarian told ( I) acts instead of that which they consider the real subject is that .....Anyway I find the blue book of grammar is good but still there is confusion.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only