Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

Words /I can't understand

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Words /I can't understand
    Message from valoris posted on 22-07-2019 at 12:58:18 (D | E | F)
    Hi everybody!
    I’d like to give my students the script of a listening activity on 18th century social classes. Can you please help me with the missing words of the transcription I wrote?

“They knew their place in the local hierarchy. _____________ , at least outwardly, towards those above them, pity those below them, and perhaps try against tremendous odds, to rise a __________ higher.”
    You’ll find the audio file clicking here: Link
    It lasts less than 15 seconds.
    Thank you very much!
    serenella

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 22-07-2019 23:29

Re: Words /I can't understand from matrixhamdi, posted on 22-07-2019 at 15:23:12 (D | E)
    Hello,
    “They knew their place in the local hierarchy,deferred,at least outwardly, towards those above them, pity those below them, and perhaps try against tremendous odds,to rise a notch or two higher.”
    Regards.

Re: Words /I can't understand from gerondif, posted on 22-07-2019 at 15:59:47 (D | E)
    Hello
    The text is in the preterite.
    Deferred, pitied, tried.

Re: Words /I can't understand from valoris, posted on 22-07-2019 at 16:14:22 (D | E)
    Thank you so much, matrixhamdi! I hadn’t thought that defer towards could have the same meaning as defer to someone…

Re: Words /I can't understand from valoris, posted on 22-07-2019 at 16:16:04 (D | E)
    Thank you, gerondif ;)

Re: Words /I can't understand from matrixhamdi, posted on 22-07-2019 at 16:25:20 (D | E)
    You are most certainly welcome.
    As gerondif said, the text is in the preterite: pitied, tried.
    Regards.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only