Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

Cambridge exam/help

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Cambridge exam/help
    Message from mohammad51 posted on 21-06-2023 at 23:30:08 (D | E | F)
    Hello

This was said an Exam in English language had been done by Cambridge in 1913 .
    Correct or justify four of the following sentences, giving your reasons.
    Please review my suggestions or my corrections line by line below each a question.
    Thank you in advance.

(a) I hope you are determined to seriously improve.
    Here ( split infinitive ) Correction : I hope you are seriously determined to improve.

(b) Comparing Shakespeare with Eschylus, the former is by no means inferior to the latter.
    Correction: comparing to not comparing with ( different subjects )

(c) I admit that I was willing to have made peace with you.
    I was willing to admit to have made peace with you. ( verb pattern \ trends in language )

(d) The statement was incorrect, as any one familiar with the spot, and who was acquainted with the facts, will admit.
    I think it should be ( familiar to ) familiar to (well-known) \ familiar with (knowing, friendly)
    I have not further idea about?

e. It has the largest circulation of any (daily) paper in England.
    = the word any is wrongly used for all ( papers), so I suggest adding ( daily)

f. The lyrical gifts of Shakespeare are woven into the actual language of the characters.
    I see it is correct and need not any editing.

Re: Cambridge exam/help from gerold, posted on 22-06-2023 at 09:34:35 (D | E)
    Hello

(a) I hope you are determined to seriously improve.
    Here ( split infinitive ) Correction : I hope you are seriously determined to improve. ... determined to improve seriously

(b) Comparing Shakespeare with Eschylus Aeschylus, the former is by no means inferior to the latter.
    Correction: comparing to not comparing with ( different subjects ) "Eschylus" seems to be a mistake

(c) I admit that I was willing to have made peace with you.
    I was willing to admit to have made peace with you. ( verb pattern trends in language ) you changed the meaning. The past infinitive doesn't make sense in this sentence: I admit that I was willing to make peace with you.

(d) The statement was incorrect, as any one familiar with the spot, and who was acquainted with the facts, will admit.
    I think it should be ( familiar to ) familiar to (well-known) familiar with (knowing, friendly) I think "familiar with" is correct (Oxford Dictionary : familiar with something = knowing something very well
    I have not further idea about?

e. It has the largest circulation of any (daily) paper in England.
    = the word any is wrongly used for all ( papers), so I suggest adding ( daily) I think it's correct, no need to add "daily" ("any" is not "all")

f. The lyrical gifts of Shakespeare are woven into the actual language of the characters.
    I see it is correct and need not any editing. "Shakespeare's lyrical gifts" seems better

Re: Cambridge exam/help from mohammad51, posted on 22-06-2023 at 12:34:41 (D | E)
    Hello

Thank very much dear teacher gerold

For the question ( E It has the largest circulation of any paper in England )

We are both wrong. I suggest adding ( daily ) it does not make sense in grammar.

And you said that the sentence is correct. Neither of us was right

Reason : Here it is a superlative, so we need to replace ( of any ) by of all papers

It has the largest circulation of all papers in England. = correct

Of all daily papers
    ---
    I admit that I was willing to have made peace with you.

Your suggestion to remove ( to have ) I admit that I was willing to make peace with you.

This I am still suspicious with ... The sentence starts by a verb ( present form - admit then it is followed by a past form ( was willing )

So, I think and according to tense sequence, we may do slight change to the tenses , and for this reason I suggested : I was willing to admit to have ......

I may come again to discuss this point

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only