Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

Use / gerund

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Use / gerund
    Message from patricien posted on 28-11-2023 at 18:23:13 (D | E | F)
    Hello everyone,
    I have just read a perspective article having a following paragraph:
    "She made her wager on becoming a business owner right before Covid, signing the loan papers in 2020."
    I have a question that why they use the verb "sign" in form of the gerund "signing"?
    I understand that the subject of the verb "sign" in this context is "She". It is in the first sentence.
    I think it's more exactly if we use the verb "sign" in form of the past tense "signed". It's in the same tense with the verb "made".
    Could anyone explain that for me? I feel indecisive.
    Thank you in advance!

Re: Use / gerund from gerondif, posted on 28-11-2023 at 19:47:13 (D | E)
    Hello,
    "on" being a preposition has to be followed by a noun or a verb turned into a noun, a gerund.
    I was surprised at hearing that.
    On hearing the sad news, she fainted.
    She won by working harder than the rest.

"She made her wager on becoming a business owner right before Covid, signing the loan papers in 2020."
    "She made her wager by becoming a business owner right before Covid, signing the loan papers in 2020."
    "She made her wager when becoming a business owner right before Covid, signing the loan papers in 2020." (although here, it would be a present participle, not a gerund.
    "She made her wager when she became a business owner right before Covid, signing the loan papers in 2020."

"signing" means when she signed. I see a week later that I answered a question you hadn't asked, focosing on "on".

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only