|> Other English exercises on the same topics: Imperative | Politeness | Question Tags [Change theme]|
|> Similar tests: - Question tags - Imperative - Vocabulary: greeting people - Can/could/may... Must/have to... - Vocabulary: Sorry! (Let's apologise!) - Vocabulary: avoid saying: I don't know! - Vocabulary: Thanking everyone - Vocabulary: Saying good-bye|
|> Double-click on words you don't understand|
Imperative mode and its tags.
THE IMPERATIVE MODE is used to give orders, in the affirmative form : Come here! ; Eat your soup!
- or the negative form, interdictions : Don't speak so loud! ; Don't answer back!
In French, the imperative has only 3 forms (1st person plural, 2nd person singular and plural), whereas in English, adding LET, it can be used in the 3rd persons and with different nuances:
- invitation : Let her come to my party! I'll be delighted...
- public notice : Keep off the grass.
- order : Listen when someone is speaking!
- instructions : Open your books on page 6, and do exercise 3!
- suggestion : Don't worry!
- direction,orientation : Go straight on and then turn left.
- warning : Don't play with that big dog...
- request : Please, pass me the salt...
1) The imperative is simply built with the base verb :
- Open the window, please.
English exercise "Imperative mode and its tags." created by here4u with The test builder
Click here to see the current stats of this English test
Please log in to save your progress.
End of the free exercise to learn English: Imperative mode and its tags.
A free English exercise to learn English.
Other English exercises on the same topics : Imperative | Politeness | Question Tags | All our lessons and exercises