|Add a new lesson / test / 1 lesson per week|
Click here to log in
4 million accounts created!
JOIN our free club and learn English now!
Get a free English lesson every week! 2 MILLION subscribers!
- Our other sites
Learn English > English lessons and exercises > English test #113041: Only - Alone - Lonely
Only - Alone - Lonely
1 ) EXCLUSIVITY, UNICITY when used before a noun are expressed by ONLY which can also be preceded by the only + noun/pronoun.
- The only thing I know is that he's a liar.
- She's the only 5-year-old girl with so many books.
- Among all my friends, he's the only one I trust.
* In order to express "UNICITY" = only one + noun or a single + noun/pronoun.
- I'll say only one word: never!
- He didn't give a single cent for his friend's gift.
* an only daughter, an only son= an only child.
2 ) ALONE: When dealing with the exclusion of others, meaning "nobody else"= alone or by oneself. This is an objective reality. Alone and by oneself cannot be used as attributive adjectives.
- Be sensible! She can't go there alone: she's only 4!
- Audrey was sitting by herself and looked very sad.
3 ) On the contrary, when dealing with a solitary feeling, felt even in the middle of a crowd, or alone, then use lonely.
- Though all my friends are here, I 'm feeling terribly lonely tonight.
There you are! Ready for the test! Go for it!
English exercise "Only - Alone - Lonely" created by here4u with The test builder
Click here to see the current stats of this English test
Please log in to save your progress.
End of the free exercise to learn English: Only - Alone - Lonely
A free English exercise to learn English.
Other English exercises on the same topics : Adjectives | Adverbs | Frequent mistakes | All our lessons and exercises